View Profile Page
Emily J. Klein is a professor at Montclair State University of New Jersey in the Department of Teaching and Learning and a member of the doctoral faculty in Teacher Education and Teacher Development. Additionally, she is the Co-Managing Editor of the journal The Educational Forum. She is co-PI on a the WIPRO Science Education Fellowship which is a teacher-leadership program that supports experienced K to 12 science teachers to deepen their practice while staying in the classroom. She earned her doctorate in English Education from the Steinhardt School of Education at New York University. She previously taught high school English in NYC where she developed and implemented interdisciplinary curriculum with the American Social History Project and the NYC Opera Project. She is the author of several articles on high school professional development, building communities of practice, and teacher leadership, and published a book about scaling up of successful high school designs with Teachers College Press: Going to scale with new school designs: Reinventing high school. In 2015 she published a book about her work in the Newark Montclair Urban Teacher Residency entitled: A year in the life of a third space urban teacher residency: Using inquiry to reinvent teacher education. Her newest book, Our bodies tell the story: Disrupting the patriarchy in our lives and in our classrooms, will be published by Myers Education Press in 2022.
School Change, Teacher Professional Learning, Teacher Leadership, Professional Communities of Practice, Urban Teacher Residencies
- 3:30 pm - 5:30 pm
- Teaching for Equity and Deeper Learning: How Does Professional Learning Transfer to Teachers’ Practice and Influence Students’ Experiences?
- Finding a third space in teacher education
- Changing leadership: Teachers lead the way for schools that learn
- Dislodging Patriarchal and Academic Boundaries: Dialoguing on Trauma Through Text
- Using Embodied Practices with Preservice Teachers: Teaching and Reflecting Through the Body to Re-think Teacher Education
- Putting professional development into practice: A framework for how teachers in Expeditionary Learning Schools implement professional development
- Environmental Education in Action: How Expeditionary Learning Schools Support Classroom Teachers in Tackling Issues of Sustainability
- Networking for Teacher Learning: Toward a Theory of Effective Design
- Rethinking Professional Development: Building a Culture of Teacher Learning
- Learning, Unlearning, and Relearning: Lessons from one school?s approach to creating and sustaining learning communities
- Wearing the "student hat": Experiential professional development in Expeditionary Learning Outward Bound Schools
- Deepening Roots: Building a Task-Centered Peer Mentoring Community
- Mingling Fact and Fiction: Strategies for integrating literature into History and Social Studies Classrooms
- Dissertation Support Groups: Building a Community of Practice Using Noddings' Ethic of Care
- Scaling Up the Big Picture, essay three (February 2004)
- Scaling Up the Big Picture, essay four (August 2004)
- Shape shifting or becoming third space teacher educators
- Scaling Up the Big Picture, essay two (June 2003)
WIPRO SEF Program
This is a longitudinal study of teacher leadership in the WIPRO SEF program.