View Profile Page
Dr. Lupinek has a Ph.D. in Sport Management from the University of Minnesota and a M.A. in Sport Management and Sociology from the University of Connecticut, Storrs. His research interest includes VR eye tracking research that measures consumer reactions. Before joining The Feliciano School of Business, he served as a tenured Associate Professor of Business Administration at the University of Alaska, Fairbanks, where he also was Director of the Sport and Recreation Business Program, and Director of the School of Management Virtual Reality Lab.
- Do consumers prefer in-app ordering experiences while streaming virtual reality content? A Buffalo Wilds Wings case study.
- Measuring consumer cognitive engagement to virtual reality broadcast sponsorship placement.
- MSU FSoB Virtual Reality (VR) Research Lab (VR eye tracking lab opened Fall 2020).
- Graduate Instructor, University of Minnesota (2012 - 2015)
- Adjunct Faculty, Concordia University - St. Paul (2013 - 2015)
- Associate Professor, University of Alaska (2019 - 2019)
- Assistant Professor, University of Alaska (2015 - 2019)
- Associate Professor, Montclair State University (2021 - Present)
- Assistant Professor, Montclair State University (2019 - 2021)
- Other, WalletHub. (June 2021 - June 2021). Expert Commentary: Ask the Experts: Hockey-nomics 2021 Stanley Cup
- Other, NJ Spotlight News (PBS). (August 2020 - August 2020). Expert Commentary: The Big Ten Postpones Rutgers and the League’s Fall Football Season
- Other, The Star-Ledger (NJ.com). (November 2022 - November 2022). Expert Commentary: Will N.J. taxpayers have to help foot the bill for World Cup at MetLife?
- Other, WalletHub. (June 2022 - June 2022). Expert Commentary: Best Cities for Hockey Fans
- Other, WalletHub. (November 2021 - November 2021). Expert Commentary: 2021 Best Sport Cities
Honors & Awards
- Outstanding Student Leadership Award, University of Minnesota (April 2015)
- Graduate Student Teaching Award, University of Minnesota (April 2014)
- Rising Alumni Award, University of Minnesota (April 2019)
- Frozen Four Official, National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) (April 2019)
- Fellow, Chancellor’s Innovation in Technology and eLearning (CITE), University of Alaska eLearning & Distance Education (May 2017)
- Fellow, Community-Engaged Teaching and Learning (CETL), Office of Community Engagement and Partnerships (August 2023)
- Award of Tenure & Promotion, Montclair State University (September 2021)
- Innovation in Teaching Award, Feliciano School of Business (May 2021)
- Award of Tenure & Promotion, University of Alaska (July 2019)
Refereed Published Articles
- B. Dwyer, J. Lupinek, R. Achen (2018). Challenge accepted: Why women play fantasy football. Journal of Sport Management
- J. Lupinek, E. Chafin, J. Arkell (2017). A Pareto principle analysis of the NHL: Why ice hockey is the ultimate team game. Global Sport Business Journal
- B. Dwyer, R. Achen, J. Lupinek (2016). Fantasy vs. reality: Exploring the BIRGing and CORFing behavior of fantasy football participants. Sport Marketing Quarterly
- M. Mudrick, J. Lupinek (2015). Craving the scoop: An examination of highly identified fans’ utilization of subscription based college recruiting networks. Journal of Sports Media
- J. Lupinek (2019). Tracing the ABC’s of brand community. International Journal of Sports Marketing and Sponsorship
- J. Lupinek (2019). The rookie experience: The initiation of unwritten rule development in men’s ice hockey. Journal of Sport Behavior
- C. Warren, J. Lupinek (2019). Choice overload and partial season ticket sales. Journal of Applied Sport Management
- C. Berner, J. Lupinek, J. Arkell, M. Keiper (2020). A Pareto principle analysis of the NBA: How production distribution affects team success. Global Sport Business Journal
- M. Keiper, C. Carlson, A. White, J. Lupinek (2020). Student perceptions on the benefits of Flipgrid in a hyflex learning environment. Journal of Education for Business
- J. Lupinek, J. Yoo, E. Ohu, E. Brownlee (2021). Congruity of virtual reality in-game advertising. Frontiers in Sports Management, Marketing and Business
- M. Keiper, G. Fried, J. Lupinek, H. Nordstrom (2023). Artificial intelligence in sport management education: Playing the AI game with ChatGPT. Journal of Hospitality, Leisure, Sport & Tourism Education
- M. Keiper, J. Nachtigal, J. Lupinek, R. Stough (2023). Marketing Analytics Curriculum Integration: An Exploration of Resource Availability for Faculty. Journal of Marketing Education
Books & Chapters
- H. Sparks, J. Lupinek (2018). Ch.6 Marketing concepts; Ch.8 E-commerce & social media. University of Washington Press