View Profile Page
Instructional Specialist, Accounting and Finance
- School of Business 361
- BS, Lehigh University
- MBA, University of Rochester
- Download vCard
Steve Markoff is assistant professor in the department of Accounting & Finance, where he teaches undergraduate- and graduate-level Managerial Accounting and Cost Accounting. He brings to the classroom over thirty years of experience in public accounting, controllership consulting and financial management. In addition, he has over three decades of experience as a classroom instructor and facilitator with students in both the academic and corporate worlds.
Steve has worked in public accounting firms at the international, regional and local levels, as well as on his own account with a focus on controllership consulting for small and growing businesses. At MSU, Steve has been instrumental in the redesign of various accounting courses as well as the MBA program.
Steve is a Certified Public Accountant (CPA), Certified Management Accountant (CMA), and a Chartered Global Management Accountant (CGMA).
Steve has a B.S. in Accounting from Lehigh University and an M.B.A. in Finance from the University of Rochester
- Instructional Specialist, Montclair State University (2013 - Present)
- CEO/Portfolio Manager, Kimstarr Equity Management (1994 - Present)
- Principal, Steven R. Markoff, CPA (1984 - Present)
- Assistant Professor, Montclair State University (2009 - 2013)
- Adjunct Professor of Accounting, County College of Morris ( - 2009)
- Senior Staff Accountant, Brout & Company (1983 - 1984)
- Staff Accountant, Rich Baker Berman & Nimar (1982 - 1983)
- Staff Accountant, Deloitte Haskins & Sells (1980 - 1982)
- Other, Institute of Certified Management Accountants. (October 2011 - Present). Grading of essay scenarios for Certified Management Accountant examination/credential. Writing of multiple choice and essay style exam questions.
- Other, Cengage Learning. (October 2011 - Present). Technical editing of computer-based texts and course materials and application of instructional design for leading texts in areas of management and cost accounting. Texts responsible for include: Cornerstones of Cost Accounting, (Hansen, Mowen); Cornerstones of Cost Management 2e, (Hansen, Mowen);Cost Accounting: Foundations and Evolutions 8e (Kinney, Raiborn); Cost Accounting: Foundations and Evolutions 93 (Kinney, Raiborn);Managerial ACCT 2e (Sawyers, Jackson); Principles of Cost Accounting 16e (Vanderbeck)
- Management Consulting, Various. (October 2011 - Present). Strategic planning/cost management for businesses in medical services and professional education.
Refereed Published Articles
- R. Strauss, S. Markoff, (2016). Keep Your Eye on the Prize: Pursuing the CPA. Magazine of the New Jersey Society of Certified Public Accountants