Professional Development and Guides
School of Communication and Media
The School of Communication and Media prepares students for careers in the industry through production experience, practical internships and a host of enrichment activities, including:
- Special Video Projects , providing opportunity to work on client-based initiatives where skills and talent are put to practical use. Past clients have included the NJ Division of Youth and Family Services, the SIDS Center of NJ and Advocates for Bayonne Children.
- Internships and Honor Societies, offering practical apprenticeships with network and cable stations, production houses and independent projects; as well as opportunities to collaborate with peers.
- The Television Production Company, offering opportunity to participate in a heavy production schedule for the taping of Carpe Diem, a weekly program that airs on Comcast and Cablevision. As TPC crew members, students experience demands typical of producing a weekly TV show as professionals, assuming roles as director, talent coordinator, editor, camera operator, among others.
- Visiting Artists' Workshops, which are offered as one-credit courses in specialized areas such as "Interviewing Skills" with Steve Adubato and "News" with CBS News Director Diane Doctor.
- The Film Institute, which brings guest speakers to campus from the filmmaking industry.
- University International programs which provide cultural immersion in global settings that complement studies and provide content for student productions.
- College of the Arts Career Services, which provides help with job search, resume writing and interview preparation.
- Alumni networking opportunities, through guest lecturing and related opportunities. Communication and Media alumni are a positive force in helping to shape the careers and lives of our future alums.
| Back to top |
Organizations, Job Search . . .
The links below go to organizations that provide professional information and give support to individuals working in communication, media and the arts in general:
- Alliance for Women in Media (AWM) - a non-profit, professional organization of women and men who work in the media and allied fields. The organization promotes the impact of women in electronic media and allied fields by educating, advocating and acting as a resource to its members and the industry.
- Americans for the Arts – a national organization for advancing the arts in America.
- Entertainment Careers.net – Entertainment jobs and internships listings at studios, networks, production companies, record companies, TV and radio stations, VFX, animation, broadcasting.
- International Radio and Television Society Foundation (IRTS)– a 501(c)(3) charitable organization with a membership that ranges from the most accomplished professionals in the media and entertainment business to those who are just beginning their careers.
- Mandy.com – an online international film and TV production resource.
- National Academy of Television Arts and Sciences (NATAS) - a professional service organization dedicated to the advancement of the arts and sciences of television and the promotion of creative leadership for artistic, educational, and technical achievements within the television industry.
- National Endowment for the Arts – a national arts funding agency.
- National Music Council – an organization representing the United States to the International Music Council/UNESCO. The Council acts as a clearinghouse for the joint opinion and decision of its members and is dedicated to strengthening the importance of music in our life and culture.
- NJ Arts Council
- NY Women in Communication (NYWICI) – the premier organization for female communications professionals in the New York metropolitan area. NYWICI offers professional education as well as networking, mentoring, coaching and volunteer opportunities that help members make personal and professional connections while developing their skills and careers.
- The Paley Center for Media – Leads the discussion about the cultural, creative and social significance of television, radio, and emerging platforms for the professional community and media-interested public.
- Simply Hired – Search engine for job listings in broadcasting, mass media, radio and freelance
Media, Film and Graphic Arts:
- American Institute of Graphic Artists
- Columbus Society of Communicating Arts (CSCA)
- Craig's List: art, media & design
- The Creative Group
- Creative Jobs Central
- Graphic Artists Guild
- dev Bistro
- LucasFilm LTD
- Tribeca Film Institute
- Word Wide Arts Resources
Job Search (General Sites):
- American Job Bank
- Career Builder
- Careers at Yahoo
- Career Rookie
- College Grad
- College Recruiter
- Cool Jobs: site search
- The Employment Guide
- Job Village
- Graduate Jobs
- Nation Job Network
- Snag a Job
- Simply Hired
| Back to top |