Montclair State University will hold a series of Commencement Ceremonies on campus for eligible graduates from July 18 – July 23, 2020.
The University is excited to announce that in accordance with the Governor’s Road to Recovery plan and the increase in the limit for outdoor events to 500 people, our multiple ceremonies will go on as planned, with each graduate allowed two guests.
Students who are eligible to participate are those who completed their requirements for bachelor’s degrees in August 2019, December 2019, January 2020 and May 2020 and also for master’s and doctoral candidates who completed their requirements in May 2020.
Thanks for your patience and understanding as we waited for the state’s updated safety guidelines.
Now, get ready to celebrate!
If you plan to attend Commencement, you must register in advance. You should have already received an email from “firstname.lastname@example.org” with information on how to register at MarchingOrder. Registration closes on Tuesday, July 7.
To ensure compliance with the New Jersey governor’s directives regarding outdoor gatherings, ceremonies will be held across several days and limits on guests will be required. When registering, your ceremony assignment will be displayed. Students are only eligible to attend the ceremony to which they have been assigned.
You will also be able to request and allocate electronic guest tickets when you register. We are allowing each graduate to request two guest tickets. You must submit the names of your guests when you register.
- Click on the link to the MarchingOrder registration system that was sent to your MSU email address from “email@example.com” to start the registration process.
- If you didn’t receive the email, go to MarchingOrder, click on new users, and enter your @montclair.edu email address. You will receive an email prompting you to create a new password to access the site.
- Log in and complete the registration process. Be sure to include your guests.
- You may return to the site at any time by going to MarchingOrder and using your @montclair.edu email address and your newly created password.
Please review this important information regarding guest tickets:
- Each graduate will be allocated 2 guest tickets
- Guest names MUST be submitted in advance when registering
- Only guests whose names were submitted by the student may enter
- During registration, graduates will be asked to submit the email address of each of their guests for the electronic ticket process
- Each ticket has a unique barcode that will be scanned upon entering the event
- Each ticket can be scanned only once
- Ticket is only valid for the Commencement ceremony listed on the ticket
- All guests must have tickets to enter Sprague Field, including infants and children
- Graduates do not need a ticket to attend but must register by Tuesday, July 7
- Guests without an authorized ticket will not be permitted to enter. There will be no exceptions
Location & Parking
- All ceremonies will be held at Sprague Field on the Montclair State University Campus
- Gates to the field will open 60 minutes before the start of ceremonies
- All parking is free during Commencement ceremonies at Red Hawk Deck and all surface lots
- Please enter campus via College Avenue or Yogi Berra Drive. See the campus map for details
- Academic attire is required to participate in the Commencement Ceremony
- Regalia will not be available for purchase at Commencement
- All Doctoral candidates need to contact The Graduate School at firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss regalia options
- The deadline to order regalia has passed. If you have questions about your order, email the University Bookstore at email@example.com
- To ensure the safety of all attendees, please follow signs, arrows and verbal instructions from event staff
- All guests must wear face coverings throughout the event (even outdoors)
- Any attendees who do not feel well on the day of the ceremony are asked to stay home
- Any attendees not feeling well will not be permitted to enter
- All guests must keep 6 feet of distance from others throughout the event
- Guests will be seated in the bleachers. Guests may only sit in the designated seating areas marked on the bleacher seats. Event staff will help direct guests to the seating areas
- ADA seating will be available. Event staff will help direct guests to these locations
- All guests must have a valid ticket to enter Sprague Field. Please review the guest registration information section above for more information
- Concessions will not be available. Students and guests must bring their own water bottles
- Sprague Field is an outside venue. Please dress according to the weather and bring a poncho in the event of inclement weather. Please visit this page for any updated weather information
- All guests will have their bags checked upon entering Sprague Field
- Strollers and wagons will not be permitted on the bleachers. Families who bring strollers or wagons must leave them behind prior to entering the bleachers. The University is not responsible for lost or stolen items
- The length of the ceremony will be approximately 50 minutes and it will be streamed live
- Graduates must report 60 minutes prior to their ceremony start time. Commencement staff will direct students to graduate check-in and line-up area
- Guests and/or children will not be permitted in the student line-up or seating areas
- Graduates must wear face coverings and keep 6 feet of distance from others throughout the event
- To ensure the safety of all attendees, please follow signs, arrows, and verbal instructions from the event staff
- Concessions will not be available. Graduates must bring their own water bottle
- Any graduates who do not feel well on the day of the ceremony are asked to stay home
- Any graduates not feeling well will not be permitted to enter
Commencement Ceremonies will be held July 18- July 23. Ceremonies have been assigned by college/school departments and/or major. Please check with your college/school regarding the detailed ceremony schedule.
Please note that you must have regalia to participate. The deadline for ordering regalia has passed. If you ordered by the deadline, your regalia will be shipped to the University Bookstore and will be ready for pick up starting July 14.
Please RSVP to your Dean if you plan to attend Commencement.