Bilingual/Bicultural Education Instructional Certification
The Bilingual/Bicultural Education Endorsement program prepares teachers to work with P-12 English Language Learners and their families using strategies that support bilingualism, biliteracy and the learning of grade-level content across the curriculum. This 12-credit, non-degree graduate program is designed for candidates who already possess or are completing coursework leading to New Jersey instructional certification in either Early Childhood (P-3), Elementary (K-6) or Subject-Area Education and wish to obtain an additional certification in Bilingual/Bicultural Education.
The Bilingual/Bicultural Education Endorsement program is available on the Montclair State University campus and, in select circumstances, at off-site locations in the surrounding region. Courses are offered in a combined online and in-person hybrid format during afternoon and evening hours to meet the needs of working students, and individuals may complete the program in just one year.
Please refer to our teacher education and certification page for information on other options in teacher education as well as our programs of study page for a comprehensive list of all of the graduate programs offered within the university.
The Graduate School requires the equivalent of a U.S. bachelor’s degree in order to be eligible to apply for a graduate program. Applicants with non-U.S. degrees, please visit the international applicants page to review the U.S. degree equivalency information.
In order to make applying for graduate school as seamless as possible for you, we have
created an application checklist. This checklist can be a reference point for you during the
application process to ensure that you have a comprehensive understanding of the steps
needed to apply, as well as all of corresponding supplemental materials for your specific
program of interest.
- Application Deadline: Rolling Admission.
- Submit Online Application: Please create your online account and submit your application by following the general application instructions and pay (or waive) the non-refundable $60 application fee. Once this step has been completed, the online portal will allow you to upload your supplemental materials.
The following is a list of the supplemental materials that will accompany your application for the Bilingual/Bicultural Education (Instructional Certification) program:
- Transcript: One from each college attended.
- Proof of teacher certification.
- Students holding degrees from non-US institutions must request a course-by-course transcript evaluation from a member of the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services or by Educated Choices. TOEFL or IELTS is required for applicants to any program who earned their degree in a country where English is not the official language. Please check our International Applicants page for more information and for our current TOEFL/IELTS Waiver Policy.
For curriculum information, please visit the program listing in the course catalog.
If you have any general questions regarding the application process and requirements, please email or call us:
The Graduate School
If you have specific inquiries regarding your program of interest, please contact the Bilingual/Bicultural Education (Instructional Certification) Program Coordinator:
Program Coordinator: Margaret Freedson
Office: University Hall 3163