Graduate School students talking outside of University Hall entrance

International Applicants

Office of International Engagement

The Office of International Engagement at Montclair State University is available to assist international students through every stage of the journey from new applicant through to graduation.

How to Apply

The application instructions for international students are the same as on the How to Apply portion of the Graduate School website – please refer to those guidelines and use the below as a source for additional information pertaining to the supplemental materials.

  • Transcripts: The Graduate School does not evaluate international transcripts. In lieu of a transcript, applicants with a non-U.S. degree need to submit a course-by-course evaluation that includes U.S. bachelor’s degree equivalency information for their coursework. This evaluation must be completed by any member of the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services or by Educated Choices. Official transcript evaluations should be sent to The Graduate School directly by the evaluation agency.
  • English Proficiency: Applicants who have earned their undergraduate or graduate degree from an institution where English is not the official language of instruction will be required to submit proof of English proficiency. TOEFL (Test of English as a foreign language) or IELTS (International English Language Testing System) scores are accepted. Montclair State University’s institutional code for TOEFL and IELTS score reporting is 2520.
    • A minimum TOEFL score of at least 83 on the internet-based test or 550 on the paper-based test is required. Doctoral applicants need a minimum of 117 on the internet-based test.
    • If you are applying to a fully-online program, you must a submit a TOEFL score of at least 87 on the internet-based test, or 230 on the computer-based test.
    • For IELTS test takers, the minimum required score is 6.5.
  • TOEFL/IELTS Waiver Policy: In order to waive the TOEFL or IELTS requirement, applicants may submit one of the following:
    • Official documentation stating that they have graduated from an institution where English is the language of instruction.
    • Official documentation showing that they have completed a bachelor’s or master’s degree from an accredited US college or university.
    • Please note that applicants to fully-online programs are NOT eligible for English-language standardized test waivers.
  • Application Fee: International students have the option of paying the $60 application fee via wire transfer if they are unable to pay online or by check/money order. For more information, please contact the Students Accounts office at

International Application Suggested Deadlines

International applicants often need additional time to complete the I-20 and visa processes. Many programs have specific application deadlines which you must adhere to. Please check the page for the program you are applying to in order to determine if your program has a deadline. If your program does not have an application deadline, we suggest you submit your application and all required supporting materials before June 1 for the fall semester, and November 1 for the spring semester.

Visa Procedure

Most international students enter the United States on the F-1 student visa. There are additional types of visas that are allowed for study in the United States. If you wish to know whether you can study full-time or part-time with a different type of visa, please contact

  • F-1 Student Visa: In order to apply for F-1 student visa status, international students must obtain the I-20 Certificate of Financial Eligibility Form from the International Engagement office. Students who are eligible for admission will be required to submit notarized statements documenting sufficient financial support to pay 12 months of educational expenses, room, board and other costs to the Office of International Engagement (OIE). The procedure to obtain an I-20 from Montclair State University is as follows:

    • Complete and submit your admissions application to The Graduate School.
    • Apply for an I-20 through the Office of International Engagement. It is highly recommended the I-20 application be submitted directly after the submission of the admissions application.
    • The Office of International Engagement will issue the I-20 only if the student is accepted into a full-time matriculated program, and has completed the I-20 application along with submitting all supporting documents. The average processing time for the issuance of the I-20 is ten business days, plus additional time for international shipping.
    • After receiving the I-20, you will need to schedule an appointment at your local US Consulate or Embassy in order to obtain your F-1 visa.  The visa is necessary to enter the United States. The requirements for the F-1 student visa may vary from country to country and an issuance of the I-20 is not a guarantee of receiving an F-1 Visa.
    • Additional information can also be found in the Welcome Guide, which is provided to all new international students with their I-20.
    • Immigration regulations require all F-1 students to enroll for a full-time course load (nine credits or more) per semester. Summer session enrollment is optional.
    • Students applying for certificate programs should be aware that an I-20 for the F-1 student visa can only be issued for full-time certificate programs (nine credits or more per semester).

Financial Information

Please also refer to the Financial Information page on this website for additional information.

  • International students are responsible for financing their education at Montclair State. We regret that the University has no financial aid available for new international students.
  • International students on F-1 visas pay out-of-state tuition.
  • There are five forms of financial assistance available for eligible international students.
  • Assistantship Program: To apply for these positions, you need to indicate interest on the online application. If you are offered an assistantship, you will be required to obtain a United States social security number which you can request using documentation provided by the Office of International Engagement.
  • Graduate Scholarships.
  • On-Campus Employment: These jobs are extremely limited and must be approved by International Engagement.
  • Global Partner Award:
    • Students who have graduated from a Global Partner Institution and are accepted at Montclair State for an MA or MS graduate degree are eligible for a 35% discount on the cost of non-resident tuition. Fees are not discounted.
    • MBA, MFA and doctoral programs are not eligible for the 35% discount.