Data Collection and Management (Certificate)
The future for most companies lies in their ability to understand and respond to consumer data. Evidence based decision making has become the linchpin for success in both private sector and public sector enterprises. Adding data collection and management skills to your list of competencies is a smart way to increase your job marketability in many fields.
The 12-credit Graduate Certificate in Data Collection and Management offers skills that can be used to begin or advance your careers in areas like market research, social policy analysis, education, health, politics, social services and more. Since its inception in 2014, the program has been enriched by contributions from a network of local employers that offer guidance on course curricula, guest lectures, hands-on projects for students, as well as information to our graduates about how to advance in their fields.
Upon completing the Certificate, students may apply to go on and complete just 6 more courses to earn their Master of Arts in Social Research and Analysis.
Students with a BA in any undergraduate major are invited to apply. Graduate students in MA and PhD programs are also welcome. Some advanced undergraduates qualify to begin the certificate before they graduate. Earning a graduate certificate can also help college graduates to prepare for advanced studies they intend to pursue in the future.
The Graduate School requires the equivalent of a U.S. bachelor’s degree in order to be eligible to apply for a graduate program. Applicants with non-U.S. degrees, please visit the International Applicants page to review the U.S. degree equivalency information.
In order to make applying for graduate school as seamless as possible for you, we have
created an application checklist. This checklist can be a reference point for you during the
application process to ensure that you have a comprehensive understanding of the steps
needed to apply, as well as all corresponding supplemental materials for your specific
program of interest.
- Application Deadline: Rolling Admission.
- Submit Online Application: Please create your online account and submit your application by following the general application instructions and pay (or waive) the non-refundable $60 application fee. Once this step has been completed, the online portal will allow you to upload your supplemental materials.
The following is a list of the supplemental materials that will accompany your application for the Data Collection and Management Certificate program:
- Transcript: One from each college attended.
- Essays/Personal Statement: Please write one integrated essay providing a response to each of the following questions:
- What are your goals for graduate study and your future career?
- In what ways do your academic background and your professional experiences provide evidence of your potential for success in the program you selected and in your eventual career? Please give specific examples of relevant coursework and/or experience.
- Is there any further information we should consider in assessing your candidacy?
- Applicants with non-U.S. degrees, please visit the International Applicants page to review the US degree equivalency information.
Course work in this 12-credit program is focused on research project management, collection of quantitative and qualitative data, analysis, and presentations of findings. Students learn how to write surveys, conduct interviews, moderate focus groups and perform ethnographic research. They are trained to use Qualtrics for online survey writing and SPSS and R for analysis of data. Meeting and working with our program partners from the private sector and the public sector is another staple of the program that fosters the acquisition of even more practical and applied skills in data collection and management. For more information, please visit the Data Collection and Management (Certificate) program listing in the University Catalog.
If you have any general questions regarding the application process and requirements, please email or call us:
The Graduate School
If you have specific inquiries regarding your program of interest, please contact the Data Collection and Management (Certificate) Program Coordinator: