Photo of College Hall Bell Tower
University News

Students Study “Abroad at Home” with New Exchange Program

Posted in: University

Fall 2019 Incoming students photo 1

Montclair State University joined the National Student Exchange (NSE) program this year, providing opportunities to undergraduate students for study across the United States and in several Canadian provinces.

Montclair State students are now signing up to do a semester at out-of-state schools across North America at in-state rates – retaining all their financial aid. Students signed up for spring 2020 are headed to California, Quebec, Louisiana (New Orleans) and the U.S. Virgin Islands.

As President Susan A. Cole told The Monclarion in March, “We have this great big country here. … What about studying abroad at home?”

Meanwhile, the University received its first cohort of incoming National exchange students in August. Arriving in Montclair before the first week of classes, the six students from Hawaii, Indiana, Tennessee and Utah received on-campus orientation from August 26-30.

“Two of the three students from Utah are actually international students from France and Switzerland catching an opportunity to see more of the United States,” reported Wendy Gilbert-Simon, student mobility coordinator in the Office of International Engagement.

The program presents an opportunity for students to enjoy the benefits of traveling and studying abroad and across the U.S. – as well as enjoying the presence of national and international student colleagues right here in Montclair.

“We are delighted to welcome our first cohort of National Student Exchange students to campus. While studying away either internationally or within the U.S. is the best way for Montclair State students to immerse themselves in other cultures, studying alongside students from other parts of the U.S. and the world adds to the vibrant diversity of Montclair State by bringing different perspectives and experiences to campus,” said Domenica Dominguez, director of international engagement, Office of International Engagement.

National Student Exchange participant Alyssa Henry, a Communications major coming to Montclair State from Purdue University in Fort Wayne, Indiana, was excited to be on campus in Montclair.

“I expressed to my NSE coordinator at my home campus what I wanted in an exchange experience and she directed me to Montclair, which provides me with those exact opportunities. I love the proximity to New York City, I love the opportunities to thrive and be creative in the Communications and Media departments, and I love the fact that I can pursue a dream I’ve had for so long now while still in college,” said Henry.

Henry was so impressed by what the University offered, she did not select any other NSE option.

“NSE is structured so that students apply to their top five choices,” said Gilbert-Simon. “Montclair State was the No. 1 choice for all six students. In Alyssa’s case, she did not even list a No. 2 since her strategy was ‘MSU or nothing.’”

Montclair State students can find out more about how and where they can study nationally and abroad at the Study Abroad Fair, Wednesday, Sept.18, 11 a.m. – 3 p.m. at the Student Center Ballrooms.

Follow the Office of International Engagement on instagram @montclairabroad or on Facebook at MontclairStateUniversity StudyAbroad.

Email studyabroad@montclair.edu or call 973-655-6862.