Flexible, short-term online format provides an accelerated path to build credentials to advance your career.
The future for most companies lies in their ability to understand and respond to consumer data. Evidence based decision making has become the linchpin for success in both private sector and public sector enterprises. Adding data collection and management skills to your list of competencies is a smart way to increase your job marketability in many fields.
The 12-credit online graduate certificate in Data Collection and Management offers skills that can be used to begin or advance your career in areas like market research, social policy analysis, education, health, politics, social services and more. A network of local employers offers guidance on course curricula, guest lectures, hands-on projects for students, as well as information to our graduates about how to advance in their fields.
Upon completing the certificate, students may apply to go on and complete just 6 more courses to earn their Master of Arts in Social Research and Analysis.
Total Credits: 12
The program is comprised of 4 courses focused on research project management, collection of quantitative and qualitative data, analysis, and presentations of findings. Students learn how to write surveys, conduct interviews, moderate focus groups and perform ethnographic research. They are trained to use Qualtrics for online survey writing and SPSS and R for analysis of data. Meeting and working with our program partners from the private sector and the public sector is another staple of the program that fosters the acquisition of even more practical and applied skills in data collection and management.
Students with any undergraduate major are invited to apply. Graduate students and PhD programs are also welcome. Some advanced undergraduates qualify to begin the certificate before they graduate. Earning a graduate certificate can also help college graduates to prepare for advanced studies they intend to pursue in the future.
The Certificate is intended for college graduates who want to enhance their marketability to employers by demonstrating their ability to:
- conduct surveys, interviews and focus groups
- collect and analyze data
- prepare reports
- lead projects
- present information to others graphically
- use data collection and management software such as SPSS, R, Invivo and Qualtrics
Current labor trends show that these skills are in greatest demand in Market Research, Survey Research, Sales, Management Analysis, Human Resources, Operations Research, and Policy Evaluation and Analysis.
What you need to apply
- Statement of Purpose
- Academic transcripts
- Letters of recommendation and the GRE are not required.
- The $60 application fee is waived for Online Programs.
- Graduate students from other programs can take courses as electives. Some advanced undergraduates also qualify to begin early. Please contact the graduate program coordinator for additional information.
- The Graduate School requires the equivalent of a U.S. bachelor’s degree in order to be eligible to apply for a graduate program. Applicants with non-U.S. degrees, please visit the International Applicants page to review the U.S. degree equivalency information.
If you have specific questions about the program and would like academic advisement, please contact your Graduate Program Coordinator.
Coordinator: Dr. Christopher Donoghue