Tuition Waiver Policy: Dependent Children Spouses and Parties to a Civil Union (Managerial Staff)
About This Policy
The employee must first satisfy all of the following criteria:
- The employee must hold a managerial title in good standing at Montclair State University.
- The employee must remain in employment status in a managerial title for the entire period during which the applicant is a beneficiary of the tuition waiver program. If the employee fails to maintain employment in a managerial title, the tuition waiver will cease at the end of the academic semester in which the employee’s status changed.
- Should an employee whose dependent child, spouse or party to a civil union is receiving tuition waiver benefits in accordance with this program become deceased, the beneficiary shall be eligible to continue to receive the benefit as though the employee remained in employment status as long as they meet the University requirements to receive that benefit.
In order for the Applicant to participate in the tuition waiver program, all of the following criteria must be met:
- The Applicant must be pursuing his/her first baccalaureate degree.
- The Applicant must meet Montclair State University’s criteria for admission.
- Eligibility for the benefit is available to those who maintain either part or full-time matriculated status.
- The Applicant, if a child, must maintain dependent status for each semester.
- The Applicant must submit a completed Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
- The Applicant must maintain good academic standing in accordance with University policy for all credits waived. If the grade requirements are not met, the student and/or employee are responsible to reimburse the University and no further waiver will be granted until full reimbursement has been made.
- The Applicant must submit a Tuition Waiver Application to the Office of Employee Relations each semester. The Applicant and employee must meet all eligibility requirements for that semester. If all eligibility requirements are not met, the student and/or employee are responsible to reimburse Montclair State University and no further waivers will be granted until full reimbursement has been made.
Provisions of the Program
- Tuition waivers are applicable in the fall and spring semesters as well as the summer session.
- Waivers are for tuition only. All other fees and costs are the responsibility of the Applicant.
- Any taxes due on the tuition waiver benefit are the responsibility of the Applicant/employee.
- The tuition waiver will be reduced by the amount of financial aid provided under the State Tuition Aid Grant Program, the Federal Pell Grants and any scholarship funds provided to the student. Such reduction will be made prior to the application of tuition waiver. No reduction will be made for any loans or work/study funds which accrue to the student.
- The University shall waive 40% of the Applicant’s tuition not covered by scholarships or grants in a program leading to the first baccalaureate degree up to the number of credits required by the degree program for graduation.