View Profile Page
Julia Berger is Affiliate Faculty in the Department of Religion. Her recent publication, Rethinking Religion and Politics in a Plural World (Bloomsbury, 2021) explores the changing role of religion in the international arena.
Dr. Berger has served as Senior Fellow with the Baha'i International Community's United Nations Office in New York (2015-2022). Prior to this, she served as the Office's Principal Researcher from 2004-2015 with a focus on human rights, gender equality and social development and represent the Office in various UN fora. Her 2003 article about religious NGOs at the United Nations was one of the first to examine the field of international religious NGO in international affairs.
From 2002-2004, Dr. Berger was Research Associate at Harvard University’s Program on Religion and Public Life, where she explored the role of religious organizations in the provision of social services in the US. She currently serves on the Leadership Team of the American Academy of Religion Women’s Caucus and Co-Chairs the Academy’s Baha’i Studies Unit.
Dr. Berger has served as faculty with the Lead Impact Reconciliation Institute in the Program on Religion and Politics at the United Nations, Responsible Leadership Ethics, and Multi-Faith Dialogue.
She holds a PhD from the University of Kent, UK in Theology and Religious Studies; an M. Ed. in International Development and Education from the University of Toronto; and is an Associate of the Toronto Royal Conservatory of Music in Piano Pedagogy.
Dr. Berger is a member of the Montclair Interfaith Clergy Association, the Local Spiritual Assembly of the Baha'is of Montclair, and a Co-Founder of the Montclair Race Amity Initiative.
Dr. Berger is a citizen of Poland, Canada, and the United States, and lives in Montclair, NJ with her husband and twin daughters.
religion and community engagement, religion and social activism, civil society, religion and politics, global governance
- 11:00 am - 12:00 pm
- Book: Rethinking Religion and Politics in a Plural World: The Baha'i International Community and the United Nations
- LEAD IMPACT Reconciliation Institute: Religion and Politics at the United Nations, Responsible Leadership Ethics, and Multi-Faith Dialogue
- Baha'i International Community - United Nations Office
- American Academy of Religion - Women's Caucus
- Religious Organizations (Global Encyclopedia of Public Administration, Public Policy, and Governance; Springer International Publishing)
- UN Brief: Religion and Gender Equality (UN Women)
- Religious Nongovernmental Organizations: An Exploratory Analysis (Voluntas: International Journal of Voluntary and Nonprofit Organizations)
- The Intersection of Faith and Feminism in Political Activism (American Academy of Religion)
- Religious NGOs at the United Nations: Reflections on initial research and outstanding questions