View Profile Page
I am a mathematics educator in the department of mathematics.
I teach mathematics and mathematics education courses to prospective and practicing teachers and to our doctoral students.
My publications (some co-authored with students and teachers) focus on classroom description and appear in research and practitioner journals and books. I am particularly interested in how students' novel mathematical observations can be nurtured and supported in classroom problem solving.
Since 2010, I have been working in transforming courses to online and hybrid settings, while upholding constructivist teaching and learning principles.
I enjoy learning about new projects and initiatives that best serve teachers in supporting their students. As such, I worked on a project on 3D design and printing in which participating teachers were supported in designing manipulatives for, and sharing manipulatives with, their students.
For more information about our undergraduate and graduate mathematics education programs, including our Teaching Middle Grades Mathematics programs, please see the Links section below.
Mathematics teacher education, Constructivism and use of student ideas in mathematics teaching, Online teaching, Teacher beliefs and knowledge.
- My Home Page
- Greenstein, S. & Fernández, E. (2023). Learning Mathematics Through Mathematical Objects. CITE Journal: Contemporary Issues in Technology and Teacher Education. 23(1).
- Prospective Teachers Making for Mathematical Learning
- Teaching Middle Grades Mathematics Certificate Program
- Teaching Middle Grades Mathematics MA Program
- PhD in Mathematics Education
- Undergraduate Mathematics Education Program
- Mathematics Education Concentration MS Program
- Explore my research at Research with Montclair
- Explore my research at Research with New Jersey