blossoms on trees in the spring
News and Announcements

WMSC Nominated for 12 National Broadcasting Awards

Posted in: School of Communication and Media News

wmsc radio dj broadcasting
Josh Tirado, Program Director WMSC 90.3 FM

Words By Anna Dillon

Montclair, NJ – The Intercollegiate Broadcasting System has nominated WMSC, “the Voice of Montclair State University,” for 12 National Broadcasting awards. Despite the challenges of the global pandemic, the radio station continues its legacy of national recognition, including 10 nominations by the Intercollegiate Broadcasting System in 2020, and a nomination for the prestigious Marconi Radio Awards for “Best College Radio Station of the Year” in 2019.

“I am thrilled to see Montclair State students being recognized at a national level for their extraordinary work at the campus radio station,” says Anabella Poland, WMSC Radio Manager.

Two students from WMSC have also received recognition. Josh Tirado is a finalist for Best Program Director in the Nation, and Kaya Maciak is a finalist for Best Business Director / Office Manager in the Nation.

“This dynamic duo joined WMSC in their freshman year and have since grown immensely in their leadership positions at the station. Josh and Kaya played vital roles in keeping the station on air through months of lockdown and limited studio access helping students stay connected on and off-air,” Poland said.

Kaya Maciak, Director of Business and Development WMSC 90.3 FM

Tirado is a senior at Montclair State University studying Television and Digital Media, and is currently the station manager at WMSC. “I am delighted that my work as program director at WMSC and dedication to my leadership role are being recognized with this nomination. WMSC not only allowed me to explore and discover my voice and leadership skills, but it also gave me the tools and experience to become agile and face this extremely challenging year. I pivoted from overseeing live DJs and training new recruits to receiving recorded shows, checking for quality and content and uploading them for air. The work was taxing, but also extremely rewarding.”

Maciak is a junior studying Communication and Media Arts. She is currently the program director at WMSC, and is slated to fill the role of station manager in her senior year. Maciac shares her perspective, highlighting the resilience of the team. “I was in awe when I received the news of my nomination, especially during this abnormal period of time. Although the pandemic has greatly challenged our operations, we continue to defy odds and find new ways to operate remotely in every department. Being a part of WMSC is a rewarding experience in itself because you’re encouraged to be innovative and turn your ideas into a legacy. Anabella Poland and the Student Management Team played a substantial role in my development, enabling me to share my knowledge and inspire our also incredibly talented general members. I’m truly excited what the future has in store individually and for the station!”

In addition to the student management nominations, WMSC received recognition in 10 other categories:

Best Community News Coverage: Mikie Sherrill

Best Documentary: In Their Own Words: Perioperative Nurse

Best Radio Drama: Merlin’s Magical Morning: Crusade of Hearts

Best Live Music Broadcast: Shape of Water for WMSC

Best Use of Sound Effects: WMSC Rewind

Best Website: wmscradio.com

Best Station Blog: WMSC Newsletter

Best Use of Social Media: @WMSC

Best Use of YouTube: Kaya Maciak’s Cover of “Rise Up” on The Morning Buzz

Best College Radio Station (More Than 10,000)

The winners of the IBS Media Awards will be announced at its 81st annual conference on March 2-6. The conference will be conducted virtually, with confirmed speakers from SiriusXM, iHeartMedia, and more.

https://www.montclair.edu/arts/2020/01/08/wmsc-nominated-for-10-national-broadcasting-awards/
http://www.mediaconferences.org/awards.html