blossoms on trees in the spring
News and Announcements

Mike Price ’81, Executive Producer of The Simpsons, Shares Hollywood Insights and Career Advice with SCM Students

Posted in: School of Communication and Media News

Mike Price of The Simpsons with SCM Students
Students and faculty gathered for a group photo after the fun and entertaining Q&A session

By Rayane Yamout

On Friday, October 22, the School of Communication and Media welcomed Mike Price, ‘81 for its final SCM 2.0 speaker event of the semester. Best known for his award-winning work as an Executive Producer for The Simpsons and Co-Creator and Showrunner of Netflix’s F is For Family, Price discussed the exciting growth and evolution of American streaming media, shared more about his life since departing Montclair State to Hollywood, and offered advice for students aspiring to work in scripted entertainment. 

Price began the discussion by previewing the new season of Netflix’s F is For Family set to be aired on Thanksgiving weekend. After the short segment, Price had an insightful Q&A session led by Dr. Keith Strudler, Director, School of Communication and Media. Price was honest about his career path, including working how he worked odd jobs out of the industry, such as substitute teaching, until he got his break. 

When asked about the keys to success, Price shared the following advice “I stuck through with it, whether I was going to make it or not. That really helped. I had real passion for what I wanted to do and what I felt I could do.” For aspiring writers, Price shared the importance of having written material and an updated portfolio. The event concluded with a Q & A session with students and a group photo.