The Greek Community
To be elgible to join a Greek organization, you must have completed 12 Montclair State University credit hours and have a cumulative grade point average of a 2.7.
The following organizations are recognized by the Greek Council and the Student Government Association, Inc., at Montclair State University.
- Composed of 8 inter/nationally recognized fraternities
The IFC is a governing body representing the North-American Inter-fraternity Conference (NIC) fraternities at Montclair State University. The NIC represents the oldest and largest fraternities in the country and their memberships include men who have been presidents, politicians, CEOs, sportsmen and artists. The IFC strives to promote excellence in all aspects of fraternity life and academic pursuits. The Council works to achieve these goals through its committee structure focusing on an array of areas including chapter development, scholarship, community service, member education, and alumni and public relations.
- Delta Chi
- Pi Kappa Alpha
- Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia
- Sigma Pi
- Theta Xi
- Alpha Chi Rho
- Alpha Phi Delta
- Kappa Sigma
– Composed of 6 of our local organizations
The Local Council is composed of six local organizations founded at Montclair State University. The sub-council strives to uphold the values of integrity, loyalty, compassion, and humility, upon which the organizations were founded. Organization involvement enhances the co-curricular experience by providing resources and opportunities for scholarship, leadership, service, and social development in an atmosphere conducive to friendship and sister/brotherhood.
- Alpha Iota Chi (Sorority)
- Delta Xi Delta (Sorority)
- Sigma Delta Phi (Sorority)
- Theta Kappa Chi (Sorority)
- Tau Phi Beta (Fraternity)
- Phi Alpha Psi Senate (Fraternity)
Independent Greek Council (IGC)
– Composed of 4 gender inclusive or musicial organizations
The Independent Greek sub-council currently are gender inclusive and musicial organizations and they have a very vibrant and diverse social component, including focus on professionalism and multiculturalism.
- Alpha Phi Omega
- Phi Sigma Pi
- Theta Delta Sigma
- Sigma Alpha Iota (Musicial Sorority)
- Composed of 5 national sororities
The National Panhellenic Conference an umbrella body reserved for inter/national women's sororities who belong to the national governing body. The NPC exists to promote the values of and to serve as an advocate for its member groups in collaboration with those members, campuses, and communities. Each member group is autonomous as a social, Greek-letter society of college women and alumnae. Members are represented on over 620 college and university campuses in the United States.
- Delta Phi Epsilon
- Phi Sigma Sigma
- Sigma Delta Tau
- Sigma Sigma Sigma
- Theta Phi Alpha *
– Composed of 8 historically African American Organizations
Montclair State University is home to eight of the "Divine Nine", historically African-American Greek Lettered Organizations. This sub-council's goal is to unite as a single body under the ideals of sisterhood, brotherhood, scholarship and giving back to the community by providing service and educational and social programs to the Montclair campus.
- Alpha Kappa Alpha (Sorority)
- Zeta Phi Beta (Sorority)
- Iota Phi Theta (Fraternity)
- Omega Psi Phi (Fraternity)
- Alpha Phi Alpha (Fraternity)
- Phi Beta Sigma (Fraternity)
- Sigma Gamma Rho (Sorority) *
- Delta Sigma Theta (Sorority) *
- Composed of 12 historically Latino/a and Multicultural Organizations
The United Greek Coalition is the most diverse council and is made up of Latino/a Greek Letter Organizations & Multicultural Greek Letter Organizations. The UGC strives hard to provide educational and community service based programs to the Montclair State Community.
- Chi Upsilon Sigma (Sorority)
- Delta Sigma Iota (Fraternity)
- Lambda Sigma Upsilon (Fraternity)
- Lambda Tau Omega (Sorority)
- Lambda Theta Alpha (Sorority)
- Lambda Theta Phi (Fraternity)
- Lambda Upsilon Lambda (Fraternity)
- Mu Sigma Upsilon (Sorority)
- Omega Phi Chi (Sorority)
- Psi Sigma Phi (Fraternity)
- Sigma Lambda Upsilon (Sorority)
- Sigma Phi Rho (Fraternity)
* Indicates groups with recognition pending have not obtained a charter from the Student Government Association, Inc. and therefore are not permitted to have intake.
We would like to inform all students and families that there are groups of students that are not recognized by the Greek Council and the Student Government Association, Inc., at Montclair State University. For your own safety and well-being, we discourage you from attending their events (on or off campus) and from affiliating with these unrecognized organizations.
Inactive groups are not permitted to host/co-host any type of programs, nor are they permitted to hold intake and related activities.
These groups include:
- Alpha Kappa Psi
- Alpha Sigma Phi
- Groove Phi Groove
- Swing Phi Swing
- Kappa Alpha Psi
- Tau Kappa Epsilon (TKE)
- Tau Delta Phi