A faculty-led program is focused on a particular theme, with an on-site Montclair State University faculty director. You travel as a group and the program package typically includes airfare, housing, some meals, museum entrance fees, guest lectures and administrative costs. Programs and destinations may vary each year, and some programs are offered in alternating years.
Spring Break programs are 7-10 days of travel as a component of a full spring semester course. Summer programs, which are 2-8 weeks in length with several course options, are open to both Montclair State University students and visiting students from other universities.
If you have never been abroad or want to try someplace completely new to you, faculty-led programs are the easiest way to go!
- Spring Break Programs
- October 15
- Summer Programs
- December- Please check back soon for application deadline
- In order to be eligible for study abroad, all students are required to have a minimum 2.5 GPA and be in good standing.
- For Spring Break programs, students must have completed at least one semester at Montclair State University, submit transcripts from past institutions or submit projected grades from fall semester instructors.
- For summer programs, students must have either completed at least one semester at Montclair State University or submit transcripts from past institutions.
- COVID vaccination: All participants in Montclair State University study abroad programs are required to show evidence that they are fully vaccinated. Students must have submitted their documentation to the University Health Center prior to acceptance. Medical and religious exemptions are not accepted for study abroad.
*Some programs have prerequisite requirements for the associated courses.
Applicants must submit a $100 non-refundable application fee before they can be accepted for the program. In order to complete your application, you must submit this payment. Unless you are not accepted to the program OR Montclair State University cancels the program entirely, the $100 application fee is non-refundable.
Program cost payments (for airfare, housing, activities, included meals, etc.) are made in installments. All cancellations must be in writing. Check individual program application for payment dates and cancellation policy.
Most financial aid is not available in the summer unless it is left over from the prior academic year. You may also borrow up to your annual limit on the Stafford Loan (if you have not borrowed up to the limit in the two semesters prior).
Students will be selected for faculty-led study abroad programs based on eligibility for study abroad and a completed program application. For highly competitive programs the program application may include an essay component – see individual program descriptions.
Spring Break Programs:
Students will enroll in the spring semester course associated with the program. In some programs, you may select one of several courses associated with the program.
Students will select one or two of the summer session courses associated with the program, register through Summer Sessions and pay tuition directly through their NEST account.
Students earn Montclair State University credit.
Students interested in a faculty-led program should meet with both the Faculty Director(s) and with the Office of International Academic Initiatives staff.
For U.S. citizens, most destinations do not require visas for short stays. Non-U.S. citizens should check the consulate website for the destination to determine if they will need a tourist visa. The Office of International Academic Initiatives can provide support documentation for the tourist visa. If the destination requires tourist visas for all participants, the Office of International Academic Initiatives will assist in procuring all visas.