The Rainforest Connection
One 60 minute session
- world map
- think pads
- Rainforest Connection
- Project Background
- Generate ideas
- Formulate reasonable questions and communicate ideas effectively.
- Students will think and write about areas of interest they'd like to pursue through the Rainforest Connection with Dr. Willis. Student teams will share ideas and compile team list.
- Whole class share, recording list.
- Student teams will select one area of interest upon which to focus for first e-mail message to Panama. Teams will then review previous messages to learn what has already been written about that topic.
- Teams will generate a list of questions related to the topic to possibly include in message.
- Class discussion - Teams will Reflective Share list of questions and receive feedback from classmates.
- Student teams will write first e-mail message to Dr. Willis (three paragraphs: intro, body, and conclusion). Teams will share messages with classmates.
- Debrief - discuss process of preparing for first communication.
- The recorder from each team will type messages on computer.
- Repeat steps 4 - 8 once a week throughout The Rainforest Connection, while also responding to messages received throughout the program.
NJ Core Curriculum Content Standards: Science 5.6, 5.7, 5.12; Language Arts 3.1, 3.2, 3.3, 3.4.