Made possible by a grant from The Bristol-Myers Squibb Corporate Foundation on December 13, 2017 awarded to Rider University and Montclair State University.
- NGSS Fundamentals, An Executive Summary
- Jacalyn Willis and Chris Hunninghake
- In a lightning-fast journey through the underlying thinking of the NGSS, participants will learn what it means to have a three-dimensional science curriculum. We will examine how the NGSS and the Core Curriculum are interrelated, what administrators will look for in classrooms, how the NGSS is different from other science standards, and where to find critical resources.
- View the presentation: NGSS Fundamentals for Administrators
- Engineering Design in the NGSS
- Anne Catena, Martha Friend and Kim Feltre
- We’ll explore what Engineering Design looks like in K-12 classrooms, and share implementation strategies from teachers’ and science supervisors’ experiences.
- View the presentation: Engineering Design in the Next Generation Science Standards
- An Approach to NGSS Assessment: The BSCS 5 Tools
- Cathlene Leary-Elderkin and Richard Stec
- Learn about a pilot study aimed at supporting teachers with writing three-dimensional summative assessments. We will discuss the “BSCS Tools” approach, discuss the outcomes of the recently completed pilot study and explore next steps for future professional development offerings using this approach to NGSS assessment.
- View the presentation: BSCS Tools Pilot Project: Developing NGSS Summative Assessment
- Structures & Practices to Support NGSS Implementation
- Meegan Adames and Alicia Killean
- NGSS implementation lessons learned from the perspective of two K-12 science supervisors. We will explore our approach to a variety of K-12 NGSS priorities from curricula to assessments, to professional development for implementation success.
- View the presentation: Structures and Practices to Support NGSS Implementation
Practitioners’ Perspectives: New Jersey Teachers
- Revising Lessons: Engineering Design and NGSS Alignment
- Martha Friend, Littlebrook Elementary School, Princeton and Anne Catena, Teacher Preparation, Princeton University
- View the presentation: Revising Lessons: Engineering Design and NGSS Alignment
- Merging Leveled Science Courses
- Joyce Weeg, Science Teacher and Owen Ambrose, Special Education, Montclair High School
- View the presentation: Merging Leveled Classes in High School Science
The NJDOE on the status of NGSS in New Jersey
Michael Heinz, Science Coordinator, Office of Academics
John Boczany, Science Coordinator, Office of Assessment
NJDOE responses to Roundtable participant questions
Ivory Williams, Special Assistant – Science, Newark Public Schools
Meegan G. Adames, Supervisor of Science K-12, New Brunswick Public Schools
Kim Feltre, K-12 Science Supervisor, STEM Supervisor, Hillsborough Public Schools, President, NJSELA (New Jersey Science Education Leadership Association)
Mark Fiedorczyk, Regional Curriculum Coordinator, Lenape Valley Regional High School, Stanhope
Judith Sorochynskyj, Supervisor of Curriculum, Instruction and Human Resources, Boonton Public Schools