Questions for Expert Groups
Great Ideas In Science Consortium
Teacher Enhancement in Math, Science, & Technology
Group 1 - Causes & Consequences
- Why is turning rain forests into pasture land not beneficial in the long run?
- What is slash-and-burn agriculture?
- Why is slash-and-burn agriculture a serious threat to tropical forests?
- How does logging affect the forests?
Group 2 - Outside Influences
- How does the demand for products from tropical countries contribute to deforestation?
- What kinds of projects are supported by international development banks?
- What are some of the consequences of large-scale construction projects?
- How are indigenous people affected by forest development?
Group 3 - Future Shock
- What may be some of the long-term effects of tropical deforestation?
- How does tropical deforestation impact areas outside of the tropics?
- Do you think tropical deforestation is leading to desertification in the tropics? Explain your response.
- What is the relationship between deforestation and global warming?
Group 4 - Hope and Hard Work
- What efforts are being made to find ways to reduce tropical deforestation?
- Explain debt-for-nature programs.
- What actions has the World Bank taken to discourage environmentally destructive projects?
- How have environmental education and habitat restoration played a role in reducing tropical deforestation?