Aerial photo of Montclair State University campus buildings.

Where Do I Find Help?

Montclair State University provides you with a number of resources and ways you can get help.

Get Help for Yourself


Treatment for alcohol and other drug concerns takes a non-judgmental, brief motivational approach designed to increase a student’s desire to make positive changes regarding his or her alcohol and/or drug use. This approach emphasizes a student’s choice and motivation to change. Treatment often involves once-a-week meetings, which can be supplemented by weekly groups on campus or off campus.

Due to the short-term treatment model at CAPS, some students will be provided with off-campus referrals for more extensive support when that treatment is deemed most appropriate.

Make An Appointment Today

Let’s Talk

Let’s Talk is a program that provides easy access to informal, confidential consultations with CAPS counselors. Walk-in hours will be held five days a week at five different sites on campus. There is no appointment or fee necessary. All sites are open to all students.

Recovery Coaching

Recovery Coaching provides a mentorship to learn how to create a new way of interacting with peers, family and community. Coaching is designed to provide hands on support in learning skills necessary to live a healthy and meaningful life in recovery. If you are interested in receiving Recovery Coaching, contact CAPS or go to a Let’s Talk session for more information.

Recovery Room

The Recovery Room is an informal and confidential group for students to explore their alcohol and drug use, self-identity as recovering from alcohol and other drugs, or those seeking recovery resources, to network and support one another in a safe environment. This group is only open to Montclair State University students who are currently in recovery from alcohol or other drugs, actively seeking recovery resources or interested in exploring how alcohol and other drugs impact their lives.


CAPS provides referrals for students who are in need of treatment services not provided by CAPS. Referrals for treatment would include (but are not limited to) long term therapy services, couples counseling, family therapy, detoxification services, intensive outpatient treatment, and alcohol and drug rehabilitation services. Please call CAPS at 973-655-5211 if you need assistance with a referral off campus.

View Other Resources

Get Help for a Friend

Do you have a friend who needs help but you’re not sure what to do? We have set up a page to guide you through steps you can take.

Find Out How To Help