To protect the safety of the University community and others, and in accordance with Governor Murphy’s Executive Orders, commencement and graduation convocations are postponed until a future date. We will update this page with more information as it becomes available.
- Who should attend the The Graduate School Commencement ceremony on May 19, 2020 at 7 p.m. at NJPAC?
- This Graduate School ceremony is for all master’s and doctoral students who have completed their graduation requirements in May 2020.
- Who should attend the Undergraduate Commencement ceremony on May 22, 2020 at 11 a.m. at Prudential Center?
- All bachelor’s candidates who have completed their academic degree requirements in August 2019, December 2019, January 2020 or who will have completed their requirements in May 2020 are eligible to attend.
- I think I may be able to graduate in May 2020. What do I need to do?
- Please visit Apply for Graduation for more information about how to apply for graduation. The deadline to apply for May 2020 graduation is January 28, 2020.
- Am I eligible to participate in Commencement if I will be enrolled during the summer to complete my degree requirements?
- No, only graduate May 2020 candidates who will have completed all requirements by the end of the Spring 2020 semester will be eligible to participate.
- Will the Commencement ceremony be live streamed?
- Yes, the Commencement ceremony will be webcast. Please check montclair.edu/webcast on the day of Commencement to view the event via the live link.
- What is the difference between Graduation and Commencement?
- Graduation and Commencement are frequently confused terms.
- To graduate, a student must complete all undergraduate degree or graduate program requirements, apply for graduation through their Final Audit and be certified by the Registrar’s Office for graduation. A student can complete all requirements and graduate in August, January or May, depending upon when certified by the Registrar’s Office.
- Commencement is the symbolic ceremony that marks the closing of your academic career where you receive commendation for your graduation. It is an opportunity for you, your family, friends and the Montclair State University community to celebrate your achievement.
- Will my legal name or preferred name be used for Convocation and/or Commencement programs and announcements?
- Montclair State University adopted a Preferred Name Policy for students in April of 2019. As part of this policy, students are eligible to have their preferred name printed in Commencement programs and announced at Commencement and Convocations as appropriate. Unless requested otherwise, your name will appear as indicated on your graduation registration form. Students wishing to designate a preferred name for Commencement programs and Commencement / Convocation announcements must complete the Preferred/Used Name Designation/Removal Application no later than March 13, 2020 for any May 2020 Convocation or Commencement.
Note that only legal names can be printed on diplomas and transcripts. Students should verify their name on NEST prior to completing the form. If you have any questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.