learning about strings

Student Advising

Visit Academic Advising for CSAM Students to learn about general advising!

In order to make sure you are on the right track to completing your program as efficiently as possible, it is extremely important to see your department advisor. Your advisor can make sure you are taking the right courses for your degree and interests.

It’s a good idea to see your advisor before registration. If you wait until you’re supposed to graduate, you may find there are requirements left to take that will lead to you having to postpone graduation!


Program Advisor Room Phone
Undergraduate Students Faculty Advisor* CCIS 327R 973-655-7796
Computer Science MS & Combined BS/MS Dr. Dawei Li CCIS 227H 973-655-3127
Information Technology MS & PSM Dr. Boxiang Dong CCIS 227E 973-655-4093
Cybersecurity MS Dr. Bharath Kumar Samanthula CCIS 227F 973-655-5161

* consult NEST or contact cs-help@montclair.edu to find your faculty advisor

Advising FAQ

Who is my advisor?
You can find out your advisor on NEST, or by checking the Computer Science Department bulletin boards outside CCIS 327.
If you have not yet been assigned an advisor and are a Computer Science, Information Technology, or Data Science major, contact cs-help@montclair.edu.
How do I schedule an appointment with my advisor?
You can schedule an appointment with your assigned advisor by contacting them directly via email. You can find staff contact info in the Department Faculty Directory.
It is always a good idea to contact your advisor to be sure that they are available. Depending on what reason you are seeking advising, bring the appropriate advising forms to expedite and ease the advising process.
What are the advising forms for, and where can I find them?
You can find all the forms necessary for advising, changing majors/minors, and credit adjustments at the Department Administrator’s office in CCIS 327. Advising forms are outside the door in the steel folders. You can also download the forms below.
I need to take a course this semester, NEST won’t allow me to!
If NEST does not allow you to enroll in a course, it is probably because the course is closed or you do not have the necessary prerequisites. You should speak to your advisor to figure out the problem .
I do not have the necessary prerequisites for a course that I need. Can I get a permit into the course anyway?
Prerequisites are built into the program because the knowledge gained from those courses are required to succeed in the advanced courses.
If you feel that you have the knowledge necessary to succeed in the course, you should contact the instructor of the prerequisite course in order schedule a challenge exam.
If the department suggests you apply for prerequisite waiver approval, you can do so by completing the Prerequisite Waiver Form and having it approved and signed by your advisor, course instructor, course prerequisite instructor, and the department chair.
The section of a course I want to take is full. How do I get in?
Due to room constraints and a specific number of software licenses for lab courses, it is rare that we can allow students into full sections.
If you are certain you have completed the prerequisites for a full course, you can apply for a course permit/authorization to enroll through Navigate.
CSIT-100 students: We do NOT give permits to enroll in full sections. You should keep checking NEST to see if spaces become available.
I’ve taken a course already that I think should cover one of my course requirements here. How do I get a credit adjustment?
In order to have your course evaluated, fill out the Course Evaluation Form, have it signed by your advisor and return to the Department Administrator.
You must also submit a thorough description of the course, ideally a syllabus, so that we can properly evaluate the course and make sure it meets the requirements for a credit adjustment.

Advising Forms

You can find hard copies of all the forms necessary for advising, changing majors/minors, and credit adjustments at the Department Administrator’s office in CCIS 327. Advising forms are outside the door in the steel folders.

  • Course Evaluation Form – to request credit for courses taken in another department or at another institution.
  • Prerequisite Waiver Form – to request taking a course without having the necessary prerequisites. Completion of the form does not guarantee approval, and it should be completed when the semester registration period starts.

The following information can be provided through Navigate:

Course Permit/Authorization
Request access into a course, or specific section, for various reasons. The department will decide if it is possible to get you into the section you want.
Course Substitution Agreement
Request a course substitution. This is normally used when a course is no longer offered.
General Advising
For students within the Computer Science department to complete before meeting with their advisors. This form will help ensure the student and advisor are aware of what needs to be discussed.
Student Advising Profile
Provides information about you that is useful for advisors.

Completed forms must be returned to the Department Administrator, in the steel Completed Inbox folder outside the door. You will be contacted for a follow-up, if necessary.