The urban ecology group investigates the biologic and biogeochemical interactions in urban terrestrial, freshwater, estuarine and coastal systems, and human impacts on terrestrial and aquatic ecosystems. Faculty expertise spans microbial ecology, biodiversity, food web ecology, seagrass ecosystems, wetland ecology, stinging sea nettle population dynamics, aquatic invasive species management, watershed management and rebuilding habitat connectivity.
- Bologna, P. (PI). “Assessing the Biological control of Sea Nettles (Chrysaora quinquecirrha) by Nudibranchs,” NJ Department of Environmental Protection contract, 2016-2017.
- Bologna, P. (PI). “Assessment of clinging jellyfish Gonionemus vertens populations in the Shrewsbury River Estuary and the Manasquan River Estuary,” NJ Department of Environmental Protection contract, 2016.
- Prezant, R., (PI). “Effects of hard clam (Mercenaria mercenaria) grow-out operations on benthic communities in Barnegat Bay, New Jersey,” U.S. Geological Survey, 2015-2016.
- Wu, M. (PI). “Establishing a Crossing Assessment Program in New Jersey,” U.S. Department of Interior/ US Fish and Wildlife Service, 2015-2016.
- Wu, M. (PI). “Assessment of the First Herpetofauna Tunnels in New Jersey,” N.J. Department of Environmental Protection, 2015-2016.
* indicates a Montclair State University student author or program alumnus
- Bologna, P.A.X. Mangrove loss leads to fish hyperutilization of seagrass beds in a UNESCO biosphere reserve (2014) Journal of Fish Biology, 84 (5), pp. 1620-1625.
- Campanella, J.J., Bologna, P.A.X., Carvalho, M., Smalley, J.V., Elakhrass, M., Meredith, R.W., Zaben, N. Clonal diversity and connectedness of turtle grass (Thalassia testudinum) populations in a UNESCO Biosphere Reserve (2015) Aquatic Botany, 123, pp. 76-82.
- Crum, K.P., Fuchs, H.L., Bologna, P.A.X., Gaynor, J.J. Model-to-data comparisons reveal influence of jellyfish interactions on plankton community dynamics (2014) Marine Ecology Progress Series, 517, pp. 105-119.
- Gallagher, F.J., Caplan, J.S., Krumins, J.A., Grabosky, J.C. Root growth responses to soil amendment in an urban brownfield (2015) Ecological Restoration, 33 (1), pp. 10-13.
- Gallagher, F., Caplan, J., Krumins, J.A. and Grabowski, J. (2015) Root Growth in Betula populifolia Marsh. in a Naturally Assembled Urban Woodlot: Implications for Restoration of Metalliferous Soils. Ecological Restoration. 33:10-13.
- Krumins, J.A., Krumins, V., Forgoston, E., Billings, L., Van Der Putten, W.H. Herbivory and stoichiometric feedbacks to primary production (2015) PLoS ONE, 10 (6), art. no. e0129775.
- Hobbs, N.-V., Lazo-Wasem, E., Faasse, M., Cordell, J.R., Chapman, J.W., Smith, C.S., Prezant, R., Shell, R., Carlton, J.T. Going global: The introduction of the Asian isopod Ianiropsis serricaudis Gurjanova (Crustacea: Peracarida) to North America and Europe (2015) Aquatic Invasions, 10 (2), pp. 177-187.
- Prezant, R.S., Shell, R.M., Wu, L. Comparative shell microstructure of two species of tropical laternulid bivalves from kungkrabaen bay, Thailand with after-thoughts on laternulid taxonomy (2014) American Malacological Bulletin, 33 (1).
- Vendettuoli, J.F., Orwig, D.A., Krumins, J.A., Waterhouse, M.D., Preisser, E.L. Hemlock woolly adelgid alters fine root bacterial abundance and mycorrhizal associations in eastern hemlock (2015) Forest Ecology and Management, 339, pp. 112-116.
- Wu, M., Kalma, D., Treadwell-Steitz, C. Differential assessment of designations of wetland status using two delineation methods (2014) Environmental Management, 54 (1), pp. 23-29.