About This Cluster
The Environmental Economics and Policy examine the interplay of science, socioeconomics, and green and sustainable marketing practices, and realm of policy and decision-making. We conduct valuation of ecosystem services, assess public policy options related to resource management and conservation, climate change mitigation and adaptation, bioenergy, and green infrastructure. Our faculty seek opportunities to enhance sustainability policy, improve ecological and human health, and reduce the risk to natural and man-made environmental hazards in both urban and rural areas.
- Lal, P., (co-PI). “US-India Consortium for Sustainable Advanced Biofuels System,” U.S. Department of Energy. 2012-2018.
- Lal, P., (PI). “CAREER: Geographic Suitability, Socioeconomic Uncertainty, and Environmental Consequences: Exploring Place-based Opportunities for Bioenergy Sustainability,” National Science Foundation, 2016-2021.
- Lal, P., (co-PI). “Bridging the Gap Between New Jersey Farmers and Consumers Through Research, Education and Outreach,” U.S. Department of Agriculture, 2017-2018.
- Lal, P., (working group member). “Integrating natural capital into a system of National Accounts: A case study of forestry and wetland landscapes in Rwanda”, Science for Nature and People, 2015-17.
- Lal, P. (PI). “Assessing socioeconomic impacts of forest biomass based biofuel development on rural communities in the southern United States”, United States Department of Agriculture, 2012-16.
Faculty and Student Publications
* indicates a Montclair State University student author or program alumnus
- *Burli, P., Lal, P., *Wolde, B., Alavalapati, J. Sustainability protocols and certification criteria for switchgrass-based bioenergy (2016) BioResources, 11 (3), pp. 7102-7123.
- *Harclerode, M.A., Lal, P., Vedwan, N., Wolde, B., Miller, M.E. Evaluation of the role of risk perception in stakeholder engagement to prevent lead exposure in an urban setting (2015) Journal of Environmental Management.
- *Harclerode, M., Ridsdale, D.R., Darmendrail, D., Bardos, P., Alexandrescu, F., Nathanail, P., Pizzol, L., Rizzo, E. Integrating the Social Dimension in Remediation Decision-Making: State of the Practice and Way Forward (2015) Remediation, 26 (1), pp. 11-42.
- *Harclerode, M.A., Lal, P., Miller, M.E. Quantifying Global Impacts to Society from the Consumption of Natural Resources during Environmental Remediation Activities (2016) Journal of Industrial Ecology, 20 (3), pp. 410-422.
- *Justus, F. and Yu, D., 2014, Spatial distribution of greenhouse commercial horticulture in Kenya and the role of demographic, infrastructure and topo-edaphic factors. ISPRS International Journal of Geo-Information. 3: 274 – 296 DOI: 10.3390/ijgi3010274.
- Lal, P., *Wolde, B., Alavalapati, J., *Burli, P., Munsell, J. Forestland owners’ willingness to plant pine on non-forested land for woody bioenergy in Virginia (2016) Forest Policy and Economics, 73, pp. 52-57.
- *Singh, S.K., Vedwan, N. Mapping composite vulnerability to groundwater arsenic contamination: an analytical framework and a case study in India (2014) Natural Hazards
- *Singh, S., Feldman, C., Wunderlich, S. Disaster issues and management in farm and urban crop production (2014) Perspectives in Public Health, 134 (3), pp. 127-128.
- *Singh, S., Brachfeld, S.,and Taylor, R., Evaluating hydrogeologic and topographic controls on groundwater arsenic contamination in the Middle-Ganga Plan in India: Towards sustainable arsenic mitigation models, in: Fares, A., “Advances in Water Security: Emerging Issues in Groundwater Resources,” Springer, pp. 263-288.
- Wang, Y., McGuire, F.A., Zhou, B. The influence of travel experience on mature travelers’ quality of life (2014) Hospitality, Travel, and Tourism: Concepts, Methodologies, Tools, and Applications, 2, pp. 995-1006.
- *Wolde, B., Lal, P., Alavalapati, J., *Burli, P., Munsell, J. Factors affecting forestland owners’ allocation of non-forested land to pine plantation for bioenergy in Virginia (2016) Biomass and Bioenergy, 85, pp. 69-75.
- Wolde, B., Lal, P., Gan, J., Alavalapati, J., Taylor, E., Burli, P. Determinants of enrollment in public incentive programs for forest management and their effect on future programs for woody bioenergy: Evidence from Virginia and Texas (2016) Canadian Journal of Forest Research, 46 (6), pp. 775-782.
- Yu, Danlin, Morton, Cory and Peterson, Andrew N., 2014, Community pharmacies and addictive products: sociodemographic predictors of accessibility from a mixed GWR perspective. GIScience & Remote Sensing. 51(1): 99 – 113.