Our MS in Accounting program, accredited by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB), helps students develop strong, comprehensive functional and technical skills as well as a specialized, in-depth understanding of the complexities of current accounting, auditing and tax practice. Classroom learning is immediately transferrable to the job and also prepares students to sit for the New Jersey CPA examination.
Students will benefit from a substantial discount negotiated for Montclair State graduate students interested in taking the Becker CPA Review Course. Becker Professional Education is a global leader in professional education serving the accounting, finance and project management professions.
This program is open to students who have a U.S. bachelors degree in accounting, or the equivalent. Applicants with non-U.S. degrees, please visit the International Applicants page to review the U.S. degree equivalency information.
Along with the Accounting (MS) degree, interested students can also earn a Forensic Accounting Certificate while completing the MS. The department also offers graduate certificates in Accounting and Professional Accounting as well as a 5-year combined BS/MS degree in Accounting for students who earn their undergraduate accounting degree at Montclair State.
Please refer to our programs of study page for a comprehensive list of all of the graduate programs offered within the university.
The Graduate School requires a U.S. bachelor’s degree in accounting, or the equivalent, in order to be eligible to apply for the MS in Accounting graduate program. Applicants with non-U.S. degrees, please visit the International Applicants page to review the U.S. degree equivalency information.
In order to make applying for graduate school as seamless as possible for you, we have
created an application checklist. This checklist can be a reference point for you during the
application process to ensure that you have a comprehensive understanding of the steps
needed to apply, as well as all corresponding supplemental materials for your specific
program of interest.
- Application Deadline: Rolling Admission
- Submit Online Application: Please create your online account and submit your application by following the general application instructions and pay (or waive) the non-refundable $60 application fee. Once this step has been completed, the online portal will allow you to upload your supplemental materials.
The following is a list of the supplemental materials that will accompany your application for the Accounting (MS) program:
- Transcript: One from each college attended.
- Statement of Purpose – Please write an integrated essay providing a response to each of the following questions:
- What are your goals for graduate study and your future career?
- In what ways do your academic background and your professional experiences provide evidence of your potential for success in the program you selected and in your eventual career? Please give specific examples of relevant coursework and/or experience.
- Is there any further information we should consider in assessing your candidacy?
- Letters of Recommendation: Letters of Recommendation: Two (2) letters of recommendation, from persons qualified to evaluate the applicant’s promise of academic achievement and potential for professional growth.
- Standardized Test Scores: GMAT (see test waiver policies)
- Students holding degrees from non-US institutions must request a course-by-course transcript evaluation from a member of the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services or by Educated Choices. TOEFL or IELTS is required for applicants to any program who earned their degree in a country where English is not the official language. Please check our International Applicants page for more information and for our current TOEFL/IELTS Waiver Policy.
- Resume: A current resume is not required, but applicants are encouraged to include one.
If you have any general questions regarding the application process and requirements, please email or call us:
The Graduate School
If you have specific inquiries regarding your program of interest, please contact the Accounting (MS) Program Coordinator:
*During the summer months, there will be a rotating department chair available to answer your inquiry. Click to find the updated summer chair for this program.*