Alternate Route Teacher Certification Subject Area (P-12)
The Alternate Route Teacher Certification Subject Area (P-12) program is a 24-credit program that leads to Teacher Certification in the State of NJ. Designed to be completed on-campus over two years, the Alternate Route accommodates student schedules as they teach in a full-time teaching position simultaneously while completing required coursework. In this coursework, students gain the necessary knowledge and skills related to their work as teachers, including: content and pedagogy, understanding of learning and development, instructional planning,implementing instruction, earning communities, and leadership and collaboration.
Please note: the Alternate Route program is specifically designed for individuals who already hold a CE and a full-time teaching position. Students without a CE should look into our Master of Art in Teaching or Post-Baccalaureate programs.
The Graduate School requires the equivalent of a U.S. bachelor’s degree in order to be eligible to apply for a graduate program. Applicants with non-U.S. degrees, please visit the international applicants page to review the U.S. degree equivalency information.
Additionally, applicants must have a CE in the area they are seeking certification in and must hold a full-time teaching position.
In order to make applying for graduate school as seamless as possible for you, we have
created an application checklist. This checklist can be a reference point for you during the
application process to ensure that you have a comprehensive understanding of the steps
needed to apply, as well as all corresponding supplemental materials for your specific
program of interest.
- Application Deadline: Rolling Admission for Fall only start
- Submit Online Application: Please create your online account and submit your application by following the general application instructions and pay (or waive) the non-refundable $60 application fee. Once this step has been completed, the online portal will allow you to upload your supplemental materials.
The following is a list of the supplemental materials that will accompany your application for the Alternate Route Teacher Certification Subject Area (P-12) program:
- Transcript: One from each college attended.
- Portrait of a Teacher Essay – Pick one of the following standards:
- Standard 1: Understand critical thinking and problem solving and create learning experiences that promote the development of students’ critical thinking and problem solving skills and dispositions
- Standard 2: Understand principles of democracy and plan and carry out instruction that promotes democratic values and communication in the classroom
- After you have picked one of the standards, in a cohesive essay of two pages, please address the following:
- In your life as a citizen, student, and future teacher of this society, what experiences are reflective of this standard? Additionally, what experiences in your life have conflicted with this standard?
- Envision yourself as a teacher. How would you foster a classroom climate that would promote this standard in your discipline? You might begin by reflecting on some of your own classroom experiences as a student. Which things would you do differently and which would you emulate in creating such a classroom climate?
- Standardized Test Scores: Praxis I, ACT, SAT and GRE can all satisfy the requirement. See minimum scores and more information on the Center of Pedagogy’s website. (see test waiver policies). Praxis II scores must also be submitted
- Certificate of Eligibility
- 50 hour Pre-Professional Experience: May be satisfied by taking: SASE 210, Public Purposes of Education or an hours-based course at another institution with 20 hours field experience in a 50-hour class. If not taken at MSU, a transcript must be submitted with application.
- Applicants with non-U.S. degrees, please visit the International Applicants page to review the US degree equivalency information.
If you have any general questions regarding the application process and requirements, please email or call us:
The Graduate School
If you have specific inquiries regarding your program of interest, please contact the Alternate Route Teacher Certification Subject Area (P-12) Program Coordinator:
*During the summer months, there will be a rotating department chair available to answer your inquiry. Find the updated summer chair for this program.*