French, Professional French Translation Concentration (MA)
The Professional Translation Concentration of the 30-credit MA in French prepares students for careers as highly qualified translators in such critical industry sectors as health, law, business, media, and culture. As such, the program trains students seeking to develop the professional skills needed for translating from English to French and vice versa.
Along with the concentration in Professional French Translation, the Graduate School offers French, French Studies Concentration (MA), Professional French Translation (Certificate), Teaching (MAT) with Certification in French, Teaching (MAT) with Dual Certification in French and Teacher of Students with Disabilities, French (Combined Bachelor’s/Master of Arts in Teaching), and French (Post-Baccalaureate Teacher Certification).
Please refer to our programs of study page for a comprehensive list of all of the graduate programs offered within the university.
Admission is open to students who hold a bachelor’s degree and have completed at least 24 semester hours of undergraduate French or its equivalent. Students applying for admission must satisfy the standard University requirements for admission to graduate study. Individuals holding the bachelor’s degree and showing an adequate proficiency in French may enroll in graduate courses, even though they do not wish to enter the Master of Arts program. Applicants with non-U.S. degrees, please visit the International Applicants page to review the U.S. degree equivalency information.
In order to make applying for graduate school as seamless as possible for you, we have
created an application checklist. This checklist can be a reference point for you during the
application process to ensure that you have a comprehensive understanding of the steps
needed to apply, as well as all corresponding supplemental materials for your specific
program of interest.
- Application Deadline: Rolling Admission.
- Submit Online Application: Please create your online account and submit your application by following the general application instructions and pay (or waive) the non-refundable $60 application fee. Once this step has been completed, the online portal will allow you to upload your supplemental materials.
The following is a list of the supplemental materials that will accompany your application for the French, Professional French Translation Concentration (MA) program:
- Transcript: One from each college attended.
- Essays/Personal Statement: Please write an integrated essay in English providing a response to each of the following questions.
- What are your goals for graduate study and your future career?
- In what ways do your academic background and your professional experiences provide evidence of your potential for success in the program you selected and in your eventual career?
- Please give specific examples of relevant coursework and/or experience.
- Is there any further information we should consider in assessing your candidacy?
- Letters of Recommendation: Two.
- Students holding degrees from non-US institutions must request a course-by-course transcript evaluation from a member of the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services or by Educated Choices. TOEFL (Test of English as a foreign language), IELTS (International English Language Testing System) or Duolingo English Test are required for applicants to any program who earned their degree in a country where English is not the official language. Please check our International Applicants page for more information and for our current TOEFL/IELTS Waiver Policy.
To view the curriculum for this program, please visit the French: Concentration in French Translation program listing in the University Catalog
If you have any general questions regarding the application process and requirements, please email or call us:
The Graduate School
If you have specific inquiries regarding your program of interest, please contact the French, Professional French Translation (MA) Program Coordinator:
*During the summer months, there will be a rotating department chair available to answer your inquiry. Find the updated summer chair for this program.*