School Counselor (Post-Master’s Certification)
The Counseling programs at Montclair State University prepare students to become multiculturally competent counselors in a variety of work settings. Students are prepared to work with diverse populations in elementary and secondary schools, community agencies, student affairs positions in colleges and universities, and substance abuse treatment facilities. The academic preparation follows guidelines established by state licensure and certification boards. This program meets the highest professional standards according to the New Jersey Department of Education and the national accrediting body, CACREP. This certification will provide the additional credit hours necessary to obtain a NJ School Counselor Certification.
NOTE: The state of NJ requires a full master’s in counseling to become eligible for a School Counselor Certification. For students not having the clinical pre requisites required by Montclair State University’s CACREP-equivalent program, additional hours might be necessary. Each fully matriculated student will receive personal advising as to the best path.
Please refer to our programs of study page for a comprehensive list of all of the graduate programs offered within the university.
This is a post-master’s program, requiring a master’s in counseling or counselor education from an accredited U.S. college or university.
In order to make applying for graduate school as seamless as possible for you, we have
created an application checklist. This checklist can be a reference point for you during the
application process to ensure that you have a comprehensive understanding of the steps
needed to apply, as well as all of corresponding supplemental materials for your specific
program of interest.
- Application Deadline: Rolling Admission.
- Submit Online Application: Please create your online account and submit your application by following the general application instructions and pay (or waive) the non-refundable $60 application fee. Once this step has been completed, the online portal will allow you to upload your supplemental materials.
The following is a list of the supplemental materials that will accompany your application for the School Counselor (Post-Master’s Certification) program:
- Transcript: One from each college attended.
- Essays/Personal Statement: Please write an integrated essay providing a response to each of the following questions.
- What are your goals for graduate study and your future career?
- In what ways do your academic background and your professional experiences provide evidence of your potential for success in the program you selected and in your eventual career?
- Please give specific examples of relevant coursework and/or experience.
- Is there any further information we should consider in assessing your candidacy?
- Letters of Recommendation: Two.
- Applicants with non-U.S. degrees, please visit the International Applicants page to review the US degree equivalency information.
18-21 credits are required depending on credit hours previously earned within the masters’ program. This is designed to supplement a master’s degree in counseling with the school-pertinent credit hours necessary in attaining a State of New Jersey School Counselor Certification. Included in the master’s degree must be a two-semester counseling internship experience of 600 total hours (300 each semester) in a K-12 setting. If this is not the case, those internship hours/courses will be additional to the requirements. Each matriculated certificate student will be advised on an individual basis in choosing the most appropriate courses for her/him. Students may be required to take additional credits to reflect current state of New Jersey and Montclair State University requirements for the certification as a school counselor, as per the Check Sheet. Course substitutions may be approved depending on transcript review of the master’s degree, by the Post-Master’s in School Counseling Program Advisor, and The Graduate School. For more information, please visit the School Counselor (Post-Master’s Certificate) program listing in the course catalog.
If you have any general questions regarding the application process and requirements, please email or call us:
Office of Graduate Admissions
If you have specific inquiries regarding your program of interest, please contact the School Counselor (Post-Master’s Certification) Program Coordinator:
*During the summer months, there will be a rotating department chair available to answer your inquiry. Updated summer chair for this program.*