Social Work (MSW), Children, Youth and Families Concentration
The MSW program prepares leaders in social work practice with children, youth and families in a diverse local and global society. The program aims to prepare advanced practitioners to provide a range of clinical and advocacy services to vulnerable children, adolescents and their families. Graduates will promote the well-being and functioning of their clients by engaging in ethical, culturally competent, and evidence-informed practice and by demonstrating a strong commitment to social/economic justice.
Graduates will be prepared to work in a variety of settings serving children, youth and families, including, but not limited to, mental health clinics, schools, hospitals, community centers, state and local government and private practice. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, employment of social workers is projected to grow 12 percent from 2014 to 2024 – faster than the average for all occupations.
This program is ideal for students interested in full-time study who would like to complete their degree within two years. Students enrolling in the fall 2018 semester are offered a guaranteed fixed-rate tuition of $34,000 for the 60-credit master’s program if they complete their studies by summer 2020.
Advanced Standing MSW:
The Advanced Standing MSW is an option only for students who have earned a Bachelor’s in Social Work (BSW) degree from an institution accredited by the Council on Social Work Education. The BSW degree must be obtained within the last 5 years. All others may apply to our two-year MSW program instead.
The Advanced Standing MSW option allows you to save an entire year of coursework and tuition payments. Admitted students will be required to complete 1 course (3 credits) during the summer semester before continuing with the remaining 30 credits of the MSW program. This accelerated program is full-time and all classes meet on-campus:
- Start in Summer 2020
- Total number of credits: 33 (27 credits will be waived)
- Program length: 3 semesters (Summer, Fall, Spring)
Please refer to our programs of study page for a comprehensive list of all of the graduate programs offered within the university.
The Graduate School requires the equivalent of a U.S. bachelor’s degree in order to be eligible to apply for a graduate program. Applicants with non-U.S. degrees, please visit the international applicants page to review the U.S. degree equivalency information.
In order to make applying for graduate school as seamless as possible for you, we have
created an application checklist. This checklist can be a reference point for you during the
application process to ensure that you have a comprehensive understanding of the steps
needed to apply, as well as all of corresponding supplemental materials for your specific
program of interest.
- Priority Deadline: January 7th, 2020. Applications to the Master’s in Social Work (MSW) program that are complete as of the January 7th deadline will receive priority review, and can expect an admissions decision no later than Feb 10th. Applications completed after the priority deadline will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
- Submit Online Application: Please create your online account and submit your application by following the general application instructions and pay (or waive) the non-refundable $60 application fee. Once this step has been completed, the online portal will allow you to upload your supplemental materials.
The following is a list of the supplemental materials that will accompany your application for the Social Work (MSW), Children, Youth and Families Concentration program:
- Transcript: One from each college attended.
- Essay: Please submit an essay (3-5 pages) that addresses all of the following points:
- (1) Please describe in detail your reasons for applying to the social work program.
- (2) Please describe any paid or volunteer practice experience relevant to the social work profession, and how this experience informed your decision to apply to the MSW program.
- (3) Please describe your long-term professional goals and reflect on where you see yourself in 5 years.
- (4) Please reflect on your desire and commitment to work with diverse clients. In your answer, you may refer to diversity in terms of age, gender, race/ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability status, etc.
- Letters of Recommendation: Two.
- Resume: Required.
- Students holding degrees from non-US institutions must request a course-by-course transcript evaluation from a member of the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services or by Educated Choices. TOEFL or IELTS is required for applicants to any program who earned their degree in a country where English is not the official language. Please check our International Applicants page for more information and for our current TOEFL/IELTS Waiver Policy.
The MSW is a 60-credit, full-time program. Students enjoy frequent interaction with faculty, small class sizes and a climate that is conducive to in-depth learning. Our program uses a unique, cohort-based model such that all students progress through the curriculum together and develop close relationships with peers and faculty. Throughout their studies, students engage in classroom learning, as well as supervised field experiences in various human service agencies. Field placements may include mental health clinics, schools, hospitals, child welfare agencies, disability services, substance abuse clinics, correctional facilities, etc.
For more information, please visit the Social Work (MSW), Children, Youth and Families Concentration program listing in the University Catalog.
If you have any general questions regarding the application process and requirements, please email or call us:
The Graduate School
If you have specific inquiries regarding your program of interest, please contact the Social Work (MSW), Children, Youth and Families Concentration Program Coordinator:
*During the summer months, there will be a rotating department chair available to answer your inquiry. Click to find the updated summer chair for this program.*