Theatre, Concentration in Theatre Studies (MA)
The Theatre Studies concentration of the Master of Arts (MA) program in Theatre is designed for students who want to reinvigorate their previous theatre experience, pursue their disciplinary passion for the first time or prepare for subsequent doctoral studies. The concentration surveys both the history of theatre and dramatic literature while providing opportunities for hands-on training. Our proximity to Manhattan allows us to attract an outstanding full-time faculty and prominent guest artists who work closely with students each semester. Montclair State is also home to the renowned Kasser Theatre’s Peak Performances, where graduate students have the opportunity to connect with the work of internationally renowned artists and companies in the Peak Performance series such as Robert Wilson and The Abbey Theatre.
Please refer to our programs of study page for a comprehensive list of all of the graduate programs offered within the university.
The Graduate School requires the equivalent of a U.S. bachelor’s degree in order to be eligible to apply for a graduate program. Applicants with non-U.S. degrees, please visit the international applicants page to review the U.S. degree equivalency information.
In order to make applying for graduate school as seamless as possible for you, we have
created an application checklist. This checklist can be a reference point for you during the
application process to ensure that you have a comprehensive understanding of the steps
needed to apply, as well as all corresponding supplemental materials for your specific
program of interest.
- Application Deadline: Rolling Admission.
- Submit Online Application: Please create your online account and submit your application by following the general application instructions and pay (or waive) the non-refundable $60 application fee. Once this step has been completed, the online portal will allow you to upload your supplemental materials.
The following is a list of the supplemental materials that will accompany your application for the Theatre, Concentration in Theatre Studies (MA):
- Transcript: One from each college attended.
- Statement of Purpose: Please write an integrated essay providing a response to each of the following questions:
- What are your goals for graduate study and your future career?
- In what ways do your academic background and your professional experiences provide evidence of your potential for success in the program you selected and in your eventual career? Please give specific examples of relevant coursework and/or experience.
- Is there any further information we should consider in assessing your candidacy?
- Letters of Recommendation: Two.
- Students holding degrees from non-US institutions must request a course-by-course transcript evaluation from a member of the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services or by Educated Choices. TOEFL or IELTS is required for applicants to any program who earned their degree in a country where English is not the official language. Please check our International Applicants page for more information and for our current TOEFL/IELTS Waiver Policy.
Our thirty credit program centers on core classes in theatre history, theory, and dramatic literature with an emphasis on global and interdisciplinary perspectives. Electives courses provide training in applied theater in areas including dramaturgy, acting, production and directing. Small classes, independent study options and courses grounded in current theoretical perspectives promote student research and practice. Whether you enroll as a full- or part-time student, you will enjoy the convenience of night and hybrid/online classes, and the opportunity to complete your degree in timely manner. For more information, please visit the program listing in the University Catalog.
If you have any general questions regarding the application process and requirements, please email or call us:
The Graduate School
If you have specific inquiries regarding your program of interest, please contact the Theatre, Concentration in Theatre Studies (MA) Program Coordinator:
*During the summer months, there will be a rotating department chair available to answer your inquiry. Find the updated summer chair for this program.*