Thank you for your interest in applying to The Graduate School at Montclair State University. You can apply in three easy steps:
- Choose your program of study: Each academic program has its own unique application requirements and deadlines. Take note of the specific Admission Requirements and Application Checklists for your program. This will help to ensure that your application – with all corresponding materials – is complete and submitted on time.
- Register for an account: Your account will be used to submit your application, upload documents/materials, and check your application status.
- Begin and submit your online application. Please start the application form. We recommend completing the online form in one sitting. Once you have submitted the application, you’ll be able to view the specific documents/materials that are required in order to complete your application.
- Official transcripts are required from every college or university you have attended – they need to be in their original sealed envelopes. Please have the institution send your transcript(s) directly to The Graduate School. The address is provided below.
- If Montclair State University is listed on your application as a previous or current institution, there is no need for you to request this particular transcript. The Graduate School will obtain it directly from the Registrar on your behalf.
- If you are an undergraduate student in your last term, please submit an official copy of your current transcript. If you are accepted into the graduate program, a final transcript indicating that you have completed your undergraduate studies will be required before you can register for classes. Applicants who have an international education may not apply as last-term seniors.
- Applicants with a non-US degree: In lieu of a transcript, please submit a course-by-course evaluation along with U.S. degree equivalency information of your coursework from any member of the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services or by Educated Choices.
- Letters of Recommendation:
- Please see the programs of study to learn how many letters of recommendation are required with your application.
- During the application process, the online system will give you the option to provide the contact information of your recommenders in the Recommendations tab of your application. You will also have the opportunity to add their contact information after you submit in your application portal. They will then receive instructions from The Graduate School on how to submit their recommendations electronically.
- Whenever possible, recommendations should be from professors in your undergraduate field of study who are familiar with your academic work.
- If a significant amount of time has passed since you graduated, recommendation letters can be submitted from employers, supervisors or other professionals who can comment on your background, work experience, and motivation to succeed.
- Friends, family members, or fellow students are not considered appropriate sources for a recommendation letter.
- Standardized Test Scores:
- If scores are required for your program of interest, please refer to the reporting codes below to ensure that we are official designated recipients of your standardized test scores.
- The institutional codes for reporting are as follows:
- GRE, TOEFL, IELTS: 2520
- MAT: 1400
- GMAT – part time MBA: 1T2-NK-80
- GMAT – full time MBA: 1T2-NK-86
- PRAXIS I Core Academic Skills:
- Reading: 5712
- Writing: 5722
- Mathematics: 5732
- Many of our programs require a personal statement or an essay. Please refer to the individual page for your program of study in order to find any additional information pertaining to required written materials.
- You can upload your personal statement or essay in the Supplemental Items section.
- Application fee:
- There is a nonrefundable $60 application fee. After you have submitted your application, you will have the option to pay via credit card, check/money order, or application fee waiver.
- Check or money orders should be made payable to Montclair State University, and mailed to the address for The Graduate School listed below.
- Please mail anything that cannot be submitted electronically to:
Montclair State University
The Graduate School
1 Normal Avenue
Montclair, NJ 07043
Please note: after your application is submitted and before an admission decision, you may request a one-time change to the academic program to which you’ve applied. If we’ve already made an admission decision, you’ll need to complete a new application – including another payment of our application fee.
If you have any further questions about the application process, call or email The Graduate School anytime.
Students with Special Needs: Services are available for graduate students with special needs. For more information, please contact the Disability Resource Center of the Students with Disabilities Office at 973-655-5431.