Thank you for joining us!
Thank you to those of you who joined us online on Saturday, October 24, for Homecoming 2020! We hope you had a great time connecting with fellow alumni, hearing from faculty and coaches, exploring professional development opportunities, tailgating at home and much more!
We invite you to view the recordings of the programs you may have missed!
Homecoming Kickoff with President Susan A. Cole
- 10:00 a.m.
- We invite you to view a message from President Susan A. Cole to kick off the day! Hear updates about campus and gear up for a day full of Red Hawk Pride.
College of Science and Mathematics: Take a Virtual Trip to the Galapagos with Montclair State
- 10:30-11 a.m.
- Professor of Biology Dr. Paul Bologna and CSAM Associate Dean Dr. Scott Kight will share stories and stunning photographs of the Galapagos Islands, where Dr. Bologna and his Island Ecology class studied in the Spring 2020 semester. The Galapagos archipelago is a World Heritage Site, offering a natural laboratory that features some of the most unique animals and geological formations on the planet. Current students and alumni from the class will also be on hand to share their experiences and what they learned from this one-of-a-kind educational opportunity.
Feliciano School of Business: Which presidential candidate has the best economic plan to improve the current U.S. economy?
- 10:30 – 11 a.m.
- Join Feliciano School of Business Economics faculty members, Dr. David Axelrod and Todd Federman for a debate on the 2020 presidential candidates’ proposed plans to improve the economy. Hear from the experts and learn more about which plan may jumpstart economic growth, improve unemployment and result in continued market success.
College of Education and Human Services: Food and Nutrition Labs – Tailgate Recipe!
- 10:30-11 a.m.
- Check out the great facilities in the Food Science and Nutrition Labs. Hear from faculty and students about the program and how they apply what they learn outside of the classroom. Follow along for a special recipe for chickpea cookie dough to enjoy during your tailgate.
Morning Yoga with Dr. Jen
- 11-11:30 a.m.
- Join us for a morning yoga session to start the day with Jennifer Mattiello, adjunct professor of Exercise Science and Physical Education! All levels are welcome, so the whole family can get in on the fun. Namaste!
College of Humanities and Social Sciences: What’s at Stake for Criminal Justice Reform in this Election
- 11:30 a.m. – 12 p.m.
- Dr. Jason Williams and Professor Jessica S. Henry of the Department of Justice Studies will take a look at what’s at stake in the upcoming election for criminal justice reform. The panelists will consider a wide-range of topics, from policing to mass incarceration, the decriminalization of marijuana, bail reform, and the federal death penalty. Join us for a lively and informative conversation!
Explore Past and Present with the Library and Archives
- 11:30 a.m. – 12 p.m.
- Come and virtually explore Montclair state University’s past and present! You are invited to virtually visit our University’s institutional repository, Montclair State University Digital Commons. Managed by Sprague Library, Montclair State University Digital Commons is designed to preserve, showcase and archive the creative and scholarly achievements of the Montclair State University community. Paul Martinez, archivist, and Karen Ramsden, coordinator of the institutional repository, will take you on a tour of the institutional repository where you can explore our incredible research, and delve into the history of the University through photos, The Montclarion, and other archival sources. View the info sheet for more information!
- 12-12:30 p.m.
- Join alumna Kayla Osborne Chamberlain ’17 as she shows you how to paint a Montclair State pumpkin to show your Red Hawk Pride! Pick a pumpkin from your favorite patch, or download a coloring page designed by Kayla… they are just like the real thing! All age levels are welcome! Pumpkin Coloring Sheet | Pumpkin & Rocky Coloring Sheet
Making the most of MONTCLAIRconnect
- 12-12:30 p.m.
- Join Stacy Albanese Fagioli ’08, ’17 MA, as she shares tips and tricks to make the most of our your experience using the alumni online community, MONTCLAIRconnect! You’ll learn how to sign on, how to set up your profile for maximum connections, and more.
Undergraduate Admissions: Breaking Down the College Selection Process
- 12:30-1 p.m.
- Join us for a session with Jeff Gant, Director of Undergraduate Admissions. In this session, we will discuss how you and the future college student in your life can best navigate the college search process, how to identify a great-fit school, and what you and your student can be doing now to prepare for success. This session will also address the impact of the global pandemic on the college admissions process and how you and your student can take advantage of emerging opportunities these changes are creating.
College of the Arts: Montclair State University Singers Performance Highlight
- 12:30-1 p.m.
- Led by conductor, Heather J. Buchanan and accompanist, Steve W. Ryan, the University Singers present thought-provoking music that contributes to the important conversations in our community. Tune in to enjoy the sounds of Montclair State’s current students as they perform Black is the Color of my True Love’s Hair, Set Me As A Seal, Ain’t No Grave and All My Trials.
IMPACT Montclair State – Red Hawk Pantry Tour and Update
- 1-1:30 pm.
- Join Stacy Albanese Fagioli ’08, ’17 MA, Associate Director of Alumni Engagement and Annual Giving, in conversation with Sonja Tillman, Coordinator of the Red Hawk Pantry, and Dr. Fatima deCarvalho, Associate Dean of Students. We will take a virtual tour of the Red Hawk Pantry in its new location, and discuss other emergency funds that are making an impact at Montclair State.
Red Hawk Return – Fall Sports in Review
- 1-1:30 p.m.
- Fall athletics looks very different this year. But with the help of Montclair State training staff and coaches, our student-athletes were able to get out for practice. Take a look at how things went for them.
Stay at Home-coming Tailgate
- 1:30-2 p.m.
- Although we may not be together in person, let’s keep our school spirit soaring! Come back to your alma mater – online – for the alumni Stay at “Home”coming Tailgate. Sign up today to receive your alumni tailgate-in-a-box so that you can set the scene at your home for our Montclair State celebration. Sign on to the tailgate to kick off an afternoon of fun. Tour a local NJ alumni owned brewery, and for those under 21, we’ll have a fun coloring competition…and, no Homecoming would be complete without a sendoff from our favorite Red Hawk, Rocky!
Throwback to 1970 Knute Rockne Bowl Game: Montclair State vs Hampden Sydney
- 2:00-3 p.m.
- Missing football? Let’s travel back 50 years and watch Montclair State take on Hampden Sydney in the Knute Rockne Bowl Game. Spoiler alert, Montclair State wins! 50 years ago, our Montclair State Red Hawk football team finished off one of the best seasons in school history with a win in the Knute Rockne Bowl. In celebration of the anniversary, we rehashed the season with Montclair State’s Coach Giancola and some of its original team members!
University College: Not All Who Wander Are Lost: Academic Exploration with University College
- 2:30-3 p.m.
- Join us as we take you through the Pre-Major (Undeclared) student’s exploration of everything that Montclair State has to offer! Learn about the resources and tools that University College provides to help our students create a strong foundation for their academic success. Featuring Daphne Galkin, Associate Dean, Lindsey Hresko, Academic Program Coordinator, and Natalie Lopez, Academic Program Coordinator.
College of Education and Human Services: How History Informs Public Health: Lessons from the 1918 Influenza Pandemic
- 3-3:30 p.m.
- Starting back in 2005, the Center for the History of Medicine at the University of Michigan embarked on a landmark series of federally-sponsored research projects examining public health measures used during the deadly fall wave of the 1918 influenza pandemic. Dr. Alex Navarro, who was the lead historian on the research team, will answer the following questions about what the researchers learned: -Which 1918 interventions were associated with better outcomes and how should that inform what we do during the fall and winter of 2020-21?, -What did the researchers learn about cooperation and resistance to public health measures and how it affected the spread of the disease?, -What lessons can we learn from historical accounts of the political struggles over response to the influenza pandemic?
Liberty Science Center – Wonders of the Night Sky
- 3-4 p.m.
- This virtual planetarium program uses the night sky as a starting point. After exploring the brightest constellations and the planets visible in the current sky, we fly deep into space to explore planets and other celestial events close up! Join us for this live webinar that the whole family will enjoy!
Personal Development: Finding the Best Version of You through Self-Awareness
- 4-5 p.m.
- Often we find ourselves hitchhiking through life events, going through the motions, when suddenly a change happens (enter a global pandemic!) that forces us to pause and reflect on where we want to go next. Without a sense of internal awareness, we get stuck in a rut and struggle to make a decision on next steps in our personal and professional lives. Having a strong sense of self-awareness is recognized as one of the most important capabilities towards leadership and career development. This workshop will take a holistic approach and dive into the power of self-awareness and help you identify your strengths, hidden skills, interests, values, as well as design a vision for your future life. By the end of this workshop, participants will come away with a sense of empowerment and have the tools to continue navigating their self-discovery journey and make better choices, to change or grow. Download the worksheets: Self-Assessment | Design Your Future
- 5-5:30 p.m.
- Join us for a live update from Dr. Karen Pennington, Vice President for Student Development and Campus Life, and Colleen Coppla, Vice President for Development. Hear exclusive updates about the University, SOAR campaign, campus life and more.
Cocktail Demo and Alumni Happy Hour
- 5:30-6:15 p.m.
- Join us at 5:30 p.m. after closing remarks for an exclusive alumni happy hour and cocktail demo featuring Tito’s Handmade Vodka! Learn how to make signature Montclair State cocktails and mocktails. We’ll also announce all of the winners for the day’s activities. Download the recipes!