Photo of College Hall Bell Tower
University News

Rocky’s Big Reveal

Graduating mascots wear Rocky’s giant feet one last time

Posted in: University

Students wearing Rocky's feet at Commencement

Did you see Rocky “graduate” from Montclair State University? The ceremony was the big reveal of the true identity of the Red Hawk mascot. But here’s some more “beaking” news: Red Hawk pride is spread so wide it takes more than one Rocky to wing it on the sidelines and nest at hundreds of events each fall and spring.

That explains the triple feature Rocky, Rocky II and Rocky III at graduation when mascots are allowed to wear the bright yellow talons one last time. In all, seven mascots and handlers were members of the Class of 2019. Their secret lives came as a big surprise.

“There were a few friends who came up to me who said ‘I knew it was you,’ but all of my friends in my major were shocked,” says Katie Lanigan, who received a degree in History with a minor in Leadership Through Civic Engagement.

Outside of class, Lanigan was quietly building a highlight reel, including debuting Roxy the Red Hawk. “We revealed her at Rocky’s 17th birthday party and she was a hit,” says Lanigan. “I loved creating her character and having her become known on campus.”

Team Rocky keeps a busy schedule, turning up at about 300 different events each year. The mascots and handlers are all volunteers dedicated to promoting school spirit. “When you’re in the suit, you get to break out of a shell that you could never possibly do in your own body,” says Amy Zaniewski, a Boonton, New Jersey, resident who graduated with a degree in Psychology, minor in Social Work and certificate in Child Advocacy. “But as Rocky, it’s easy. Nearly everyone adores seeing him around campus.”

Mario Papa hosted the episodes of “Rocky on the Street,” the fast-paced “student-on-the-street” YouTube videos featuring interviews on pressing college life questions. Graduating with a Bachelor of Arts in Television and Digital Media with a concentration in Sports Media Journalism, hosting came naturally to Papa.

Graduation gave the Staten Island, New York, native a chance to tell all: Remember Rocky from the 2018 Commencement? Red Hawk Day 2017? “My friends were indeed shocked when they saw I had the feet on,” Papa says. “They all loved it! So many people took pictures of me with the feet on … and I got a lot of looks.”

Team Rocky participates at events both on and off campus, at schools, races and athletic events. “As Rocky, I have interacted, entertained, and danced for thousands of students and faculty,” says Langian who grew up in Woodbridge, New Jersey. “The most famous person I performed for was the former president of Ecuador – and yes that actually happened. Exposing my secret identity was a perfect end to my Rocky career.”

Congratulations to all the mascot graduates: Vienna Bonato, Jesse Bush, Maggie Evans, Desiree Habersham, Katie Lanigan, Mario Papa and Amy Zaniewski.

Team Rocky has big feet to fill.