Photo of College Hall Bell Tower
University News

Startup Montclair “Pitch it Now” Contest

Feliciano Center moves Startup Montclair Pitch Contest to online judging

Posted in: University

hand holding lightbulb with graphical swirls and gears overlaid

Submission deadline: March 19

The Feliciano Center for Entrepreneurship & Innovation is adjusting to current circumstances and finding workable solutions for offering its services and leadership.

One case in point: The 2020 Startup Montclair Pitch Contest continues as scheduled, with competitors asked to submit their applications by the 4 p.m., March 19 deadline.

“It’s more important than ever to support start-ups and small businesses,” said Executive Director Carley Graham Garcia. “We’re still on!”

Graham Garcia explains that the Center will move to remote judging.

2020 Pitch Contest

Startup Montclair, the University’s annual pitch contest, will be held in spring 2020 to identify the most innovative ideas, with a panel of judges awarding prizes to the most compelling concepts. Any Montclair State student and alum can enter the competition. There is also a special “Community Prize,” as described below. Entries must be in teams of two to five people – individuals cannot enter. Alumni teams must have at least one Montclair State student. (All teams are urged to prepare while observing proper social distancing.)


The contest consists of three rounds. Important dates to know:

March 19 by 4 p.m.
First-round submissions due – more info below
April 22
Semi-final pitches
May 1
Final pitches


Teams will compete for the following prizes:

  • 1st place – $25,000 cash* + industry support
  • Female Founders** prize – $25,000 cash* + industry support
  • 2nd place – $10,000 cash* + industry support
  • 3rd place – $5,000 cash* + industry support
  • Community Prize – $2,500 cash (issued at time of win) + cloud credits from AWS Start-Ups. Applicants should be a resident of or have a business address within Montclair, Clifton or Little Falls.


* For cash prizes, 20% of the award goes directly to the team members and the remaining 80% must be invested in the startup venture under the coaching of the Feliciano Center for Entrepreneurship & Innovation. See team agreement for more info.

** Women and women-identified must make up more than 50% of the founding partners.

Industry support is valued at more than $31,000 and includes:

For more information about the 2020 Pitch Context, see the Feliciano Center for Entreprenurship’s Post at