Wide shot of crowd, judges and students pitching on stage.

2020 Pitch Contest Is Still On!

Startup Montclair, our annual pitch contest, will be held in spring 2020 to identify the most innovative ideas, with a panel of judges awarding prizes to the most compelling concepts. Any Montclair State student and alum can enter the competition. Alumni teams must have at least one Montclair State student.

DEADLINES:

The contest consists of three rounds. Important dates to know:

March 19 by 4 p.m. – First-round submissions due – more info below

April 22 – Final virtual pitch

BE PART OF OUR AUDIENCE:

Enter your email address here to receive an invitation and Zoom link to our virtual pitch contest!

JUDGES:

Jill Johnson, CEO – Institute for Entrepreneurial Leadership
Steven Rosenblatt, Co-Founder & General Partner – Oceans Ventures
Ricardo Tavera, Serial Entrepreneur

PRIZES:

Teams will compete for the following prizes:

1st place – $25,000 cash* + industry support (details below)

Female Founders** prize – $25,000 cash* + industry support (details below)

2nd place – $10,000 cash*  + industry support (details below)

* For cash prizes, 20 percent of the award goes directly to the team members and the remaining 80 percent must be invested in the startup venture under the coaching of the Feliciano Center for Entrepreneurship & Innovation. See team agreement for more info.  

** Women and women-identified must make up more than 50% of the founding partners.

Industry support is valued at more than $31,000 and includes:

  • Cloud credits and business tech support from AWS Start-Ups
  • Free provisional patent applications, provided by Gearhart LLC
  • Website support from Wix including but not limited to:
    • (1) Hands-on Wix workshops on how to plan a website, use the Wix platform, explore design features, and learn about advanced digital marketing like SEO and email marketing.  
    • (2) A one-year free coupon code for students to upgrade their site to any of Wix’s Website or Business Premium Plans. This will allow students to connect to their own domain (i.e. www.mybusiness.com), utilize Google Analytics, design a professional logo, unlimited bandwidth, and more.  
    • (3) One-to-one sessions with Wix designers to provide professional guidance and design feedback on how to take their website to the next level.
  • Dedicated desk(s) & access to co-working space within the Feliciano Center for Entrepreneurship & Innovation from June 2020 until December 2020.
  • Option for prize money to be paid as work stipend, depending on team composition and at the discretion of faculty mentor upon achievement of mutually agreed upon milestones.

HOW TO SUBMIT – MONTCLAIR STATE STUDENTS AND ALUMS:

The first round will consist of submitting a 2-minute video, one-page executive summary highlighting your innovative idea, and team agreement signed by all members of the team.

Requirements for the one-page executive summary. (Montclair State students must access the document from the university email account.)

Montclair State student/alum team agreement, with all rules (must be signed by all team members).

Submit first-round entry – Montclair State students/alums