howler monkey eating in a tree
PRISM News

How One Newark Elementary School Teacher is Benefitting From an Innovative Fellowship Program

Posted in: Teachers

Rachael Safier in the classroom

Racheal Safier, who teaches math at Luiz Muñoz Marín, is currently in her second year of a fellowship program offered by Math for America (MƒA), a nonprofit organization that builds communities of accomplished mathematics and science teachers to help sustain them in their careers.

After the New York City-based program partnered with Montclair State University, Princeton University and Rowan University to launch the New Jersey STEM Innovation Fellowship, Safier, a current graduate student at Montclair, said she has been excelling through the fellowship once she applied to it to learn more about math instruction.

What I like about the fellowship is that I get to collaborate with teachers all across the state with teachers who teach different grade levels than me, so I get a glimpse into other people’s classrooms. I get to see what’s working for them and their students, and things that I can try that might be successful for my math students as well.

Racheal Safier

Read the full story on TAPIntoNewark