View Profile Page
Dr. Michael Hannon is an Associate Professor of Counseling at Montclair State University. His experiences as a counseling professional stretch 20 years and includes current work as a clinical mental health counselor and past experience as a school counselor and student affairs professional. Dr. Hannon’s research primarily focuses on Black men’s wellness, with a focus on the value they derive from their roles as fathers, community leaders, clients, and counselor educators. His dissertation was the first study about the lived experiences of Black fathers of individuals with autism. His secondary research interests are about the professional development needs school counselors serving racially and ethnically diverse students and families.
To date, Dr. Hannon has authored 24 publications (17 refereed) and has made over 80 presentations (50 refereed) at professional counseling and allied health conferences. His research has been featured in several counseling and educational journals. He has been a featured contributor to media outlets and organizations such as Autism Speaks, Thrive Global, Fusion, and Huffington Post. His forthcoming book, Black Fathering and Mental Health, will be published by Peter Lang in 2021.
Dr. Hannon earned a doctoral degree in Counselor Education & Supervision from The Pennsylvania State University, an Educational Specialist degree in School Counseling Services from Rider University, a master’s degree in Student Affairs Practice and a bachelor’s in Human Development & Family Processes from the University of Delaware. Michael and his wife, Dr. LaChan Hannon, are the co-founders of the Greater Expectations Teaching and Advocacy Center for Childhood Disabilities, Inc. (GETAC), a non-profit organization in Burlington County, New Jersey dedicated to supporting families raising and institutions serving neurodiverse and other marginalized children and families.
Black fathering and mental health
Psychosocial aspects of autism on Black fathers
Black men in counseling
Urban school counseling practice and professional development
- 4:00 pm - 5:00 pm
- 4:00 pm - 5:00 pm
- Interview on Thoughtful Counselor podcast with Mr. Darren Green, and Drs. Lauren Shore, Ebony White, Darius Green, & Michael Hannon on systemic racism in the counseling profession.
- Dr. Hannon featured in May 2020 issue of ACA's monthly magazine, Counseling Today article about families on their autism journeys
- Dr. Hannon & Dr. Naseef co-facilitate support group for dads of individuals with autism
- Dr. Hannon & Dr. Naseef interviewed on Autism POV (Points of View) Podcast, sponsored by Autism Speaks, on fathering of individuals with autism
- Dr. Hannon interviewed on Autism Personal Coach Podcast on Black fathers of individuals w/autism
- Dr. Hannon's keynote, New Reflections on a Timeless Role, featured in Dr. Robert Naseef's blog
- Dr. Hannon's introduction for journal article in The Professional Counselor, on fathers of individuals with Asperger's syndrome
- Dr. Hannon's profile on Psychology Today
- GETAC Home Page
- Michael D. Hannon Research Gate profile