View Profile Page
Associate Professor, Counseling
- University Hall 2114
- BS, University of Delaware
- MEd, University of Delaware
- PhD, The Pennsylvania State University
- Download vCard
Dr. Michael Hannon is an award-winning counselor educator and researcher, a practicing counselor, and an author. He is an Associate Professor of Counseling at Montclair State University, a mental health counselor at The Center for MARCUS, and the co-founder of the non-profit organization, Greater Expectations Teaching and Advocacy Center, with his wife, Dr. LaChan Hannon.
Dr. Hannon is the winner of the 2021 Black Mental Health Educator of the Year from the Black Mental Health Symposium, a 2020 Outstanding Faculty Award Winner from JV Educational Consultants, and the lead author of the 2020 Article of Year from the journal, Counselor Education and Supervision.
He is the author of over 30 publications and has been cited over 400 times. His 2022 edited book, Black Fathering and Mental Health, and overall research about the mental health of Black men and fathers has been highlighted in a range of media outlets including National Public Radio, New York Times, Autism Speaks, Thrive Global, Huffington Post and Waymaker Journal.
Dr. Hannon earned his doctoral degree in Counselor Education and Supervision from The Pennsylvania State University, an educational specialist degree in Counseling Services from Rider University, and master’s (Student Affairs Practice in Higher Education) and a bachelor degrees (Human Development and Family Processes) from the University of Delaware.
Black fathering and mental health
Black men in counseling
Anti-Black racism in counseling
Psychosocial aspects of autism on Black fathers
Urban school counseling practice and professional development
- 2:00 pm - 4:00 pm
- and by appointment
Montclair State does not endorse the views or opinions expressed in a faculty member's webpage or website. Consistent with the principles of academic freedom, the content provided is that of the author and does not express the opinions or views of Montclair State University.
- Black Fathering & Mental Health Book Purchase
- May 2021 Interview on Neurodiversity Experts on WBAI Radio-NYC Talk w/Dr. Hannon
- Interview on Thoughtful Counselor podcast with Mr. Darren Green, and Drs. Lauren Shore, Ebony White, Darius Green, & Michael Hannon on systemic racism in the counseling profession.
- Dr. Hannon featured in May 2020 issue of ACA's monthly magazine, Counseling Today article about families on their autism journeys
- Dr. Hannon & Dr. Naseef interviewed on Autism POV (Points of View) Podcast, sponsored by Autism Speaks, on fathering of individuals with autism
- Dr. Hannon interviewed on Autism Personal Coach Podcast on Black fathers of individuals w/autism
- Dr. Hannon's keynote, New Reflections on a Timeless Role, featured in Dr. Robert Naseef's blog
- Dr. Hannon's introduction for journal article in The Professional Counselor, on fathers of individuals with Asperger's syndrome
- Dr. Hannon's profile on Psychology Today
- GETAC Home Page
- Michael D. Hannon Research Gate profile