View Profile Page
Dr. Michael Hannon is an Associate Professor of Counseling at Montclair State University. An award winning counselor educator and scholar. Dr. Hannon is a highly sought after lecturer, consultant, and collaborator. He takes great pride in leveraging his lived experiences and his professional counseling experience in K-12, student affairs, and clinical settings to the classroom and to his research. Dr. Hannon earned his doctoral degree in Counselor Education and Supervision from The Pennsylvania State University, an educational specialist degree in School Counseling Services from Rider University, a master’s degree in Student Affairs Practice in Higher Education and a bachelor’s in Human Development & Family Processes from the University of Delaware .
Dr. Hannon’s research primarily focuses on Black men’s wellness, with a focus on the value they derive from their roles as fathers, community leaders, clients, and counselor educators. His dissertation was the first study about the mental health of Black fathers of autistic people. He also actively conducts studies and publishes about anti-Black racism in professional counseling and school counselors’ professional development needs. To this end, Dr. Hannon has authored 30 publications and made over 100 presentations at professional counseling and allied health conferences and his work has been cited over 300 times. He has been a featured contributor to media outlets and organizations such as Autism Speaks, Thrive Global, Fusion, Neurodiversity Experts, and Huffington Post. His forthcoming book, Black Fathering and Mental Health will be published by Peter Lang in spring 2022.
Drs. Michael and LaChan Hannon are the co-founders of the Greater Expectations Teaching & Advocacy Center (GETAC), a non-profit organization based in Burlington County, New Jersey, dedicated to supporting families supporting and institutions serving neurodivergent and other marginalized children and families. For more information, feel free to visit GETAC’s website or and/or visit the links below.
Black fathering and mental health
Black men in counseling
Anti-Black racism in counseling
Psychosocial aspects of autism on Black fathers
Urban school counseling practice and professional development
- 2:00 pm - 4:00 pm
- and by appointment
- Black Fathering & Mental Health Book Purchase
- May 2021 Interview on Neurodiversity Experts on WBAI Radio-NYC Talk w/Dr. Hannon
- Interview on Thoughtful Counselor podcast with Mr. Darren Green, and Drs. Lauren Shore, Ebony White, Darius Green, & Michael Hannon on systemic racism in the counseling profession.
- Dr. Hannon featured in May 2020 issue of ACA's monthly magazine, Counseling Today article about families on their autism journeys
- Dr. Hannon & Dr. Naseef interviewed on Autism POV (Points of View) Podcast, sponsored by Autism Speaks, on fathering of individuals with autism
- Dr. Hannon interviewed on Autism Personal Coach Podcast on Black fathers of individuals w/autism
- Dr. Hannon's keynote, New Reflections on a Timeless Role, featured in Dr. Robert Naseef's blog
- Dr. Hannon's introduction for journal article in The Professional Counselor, on fathers of individuals with Asperger's syndrome
- Dr. Hannon's profile on Psychology Today
- GETAC Home Page
- Michael D. Hannon Research Gate profile