This ranking assesses online master’s degrees in computer science, computer engineering, software engineering, information systems and information technology. Some schools reported data on multiple IT-related degrees housed in different departments, while others reported on a single program. For simplicity, this ranking is termed Best Online Master’s in Computer Information Technology Programs, although the specific degrees offered may vary among institutions.
For the 2023 rankings edition, U.S. News evaluated schools on five general categories. Here is a look at each category and its weight in the current rankings formula.
- Engagement (25%)
- Quality online information technology programs promote participation in courses, allowing students opportunities to readily interact with their instructors and classmates, as is possible in a campus-based setting. In turn, instructors are not only accessible and responsive, but they are also tasked with helping create an experience rewarding enough that students stay enrolled and complete their degrees in a reasonable amount of time.
- Faculty Credentials and Training (25%)
- Strong online programs employ instructors with academic credentials that mirror those of instructors for campus-based programs, and they have the resources to train these instructors to teach distance learners.
- Peer Assessment (25%)
- A survey of high-ranking academic officials in information technology helps account for intangible factors affecting program quality that statistics do not capture. Also, employers may hold in high regard degrees from programs that academics respect.
- Services and Technologies (12.5%)
- Programs that incorporate diverse online learning technologies allow greater flexibility for students to take classes and labs from a distance. Outside of classes, strong support structures provide learning assistance, career guidance and financial aid resources commensurate with quality campus-based programs.
- Student Excellence (12.5%)
- Student bodies entering with proven aptitudes, ambitions and accomplishments can handle the demands of rigorous coursework. Furthermore, online degrees that schools award judiciously can have greater legitimacy in the job market.
Montclair’s program ranked best in Faculty Credentials and Training, coming in 30th and Services and Technologies at 18th. View more about our assessment on the US News Program Profile website!