Weston Science Scholars Program
The Weston Science Scholars Program, now in its 18th year, offers specially selected ninth, tenth and eleventh graders from Montclair High School the opportunity to learn science "by doing science." The program recognizes high achieving students with significant potential in science, mathematics and related fields.
Criteria for admissions to the Weston Science Scholars Program for ninth, tenth and eleventh graders.
- A serious interest in fields of science and mathematics.
- Superior skills in the disciplines of science and mathematics as evidenced by recent grades or other indicators.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, as evidenced through the evaluation of an essay and a formal interview.
- Personal qualities: hard working, responsible, enthusiastic and able to work well with others.
- Willingness to participate in some form of community service approved by director(s). 20 hours required by November 30.
Applications for 2018 will be available in late 2017
- Fill out the application packet
- Have teachers fill out Teacher Recommendation forms
- Write and Essay that answers the following questions:
- Why do you want to participate in the Weston Science Scholars Program?
- What do you hope to get out of it or achieve?
- How will this benefit you in the future?
- What are your expectations both emotionally and academically?
- What can you contribute to the program?
- Note: Your essay should be well organized, with cohesive concepts based on honesty, passion, and scientific experiences. The essay should be one page, with a 12 size font and Times New Roman font face with a 1.0 inch margins. Please be prepared to discuss your essay at your interview!
All completed math and science teacher recommendations will be directly submitted to Mrs. English. Once received, each scholar will be notified by mail with the date/time of their interview. All interviews will be held in the Montclair High School library during the month of February.
45 scholars will be chosen for this program.
Tuition Required: $650.00
If the total amount is not paid by the required date, students will not be allowed to continue with the program.
This program offers 7.5 high school science elective credits upon completion. Since credits are awarded on contact hours, scholars are permitted to miss NO more than 2 field trips before credits will be deducted.
Frequently Asked Questions
- When does the research component start for the summer of 2017?
- The research component begins, Monday June 26, 2017
- The program culminates Thursday, July 27, 2017
- When are completed applications due?
- Completed application are due the first week of March to Mrs. Lynn English
- What is needed for the completed application?
- Application page with contact information which requires a signature by applicant and parent/caregiver
- Written essay
- What about the teacher recommendations?
- There are two teacher recommendation forms. One is to be given to your math teacher and one is to be given to your science teacher. These forms will be returned directly Mrs. English for review.
- If the applicant or parents need further information, please contact:
- Mrs. Lynn English (Director of the Weston program)
973-655-5101 or firstname.lastname@example.org