Criteria for admissions to the Weston Science Scholars Program for ninth and tenth graders from Montclair High School.
- A serious interest in fields of science and mathematics.
- Superior skills in the disciplines of science and mathematics as evidenced by recent grades or other indicators.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, as evidenced through the evaluation of an essay and a formal interview.
- Personal qualities: hard working, responsible, enthusiastic and able to work well with others.
- Willingness to participate in some form of community service approved by director and co-director. 20 hours required by Friday December 3, 2012.
Application packages (registration form, science and math recommendation forms and essay question) can be obtained from and returned to Mrs. Dede Portas OR Mrs. English at Montclair High School by Friday, January 27, 2012. Forty scholars will be chosen for this program.
Please NOTE: All completed math and science teacher recommendations will be directly submitted to Mrs. Portas or Mrs. English.
Tuition Required: $500.00
A $250.00 deposit must be submitted before March 23, 2012.
Balance of the tuition due May 4, 2012.
If the total amount is not paid by this date, students will not be allowed to continue with the program.
This program offers 7.5 high school credits upon completion. Since credits are awarded on contact hours, scholars are permitted to miss NO more than 2 fieldtrips before credits will be deducted.
Please check the Calendar of Events - 2012
Dates and times of fieldtrips and activities
- American Museum of Natural History: Saturday, March 31, 2012.
- Kidney Transplant, Liberty Science Center, Tuesday, April 10, 2012.
- Orientation: Thursday, May 17, 2012.
- Laboratory Human DNA Seminar - 2.5 hours with Dr. Jack Gaynor either Tuesday, May 29 or Wednesday, June 2nd, 2012.
- Research Component begins Monday, June 25, 2012.