- General Contact Information
- Department of Educational Leadership
University Hall, Suite 2128
Faculty & Staff Contact Information
- How do I apply for admission for graduate study at Montclair State University?
- Follow this link to apply online: How to Apply
- Where do I find graduate study forms (e.g., leave of absence, change of program, withdrawal, etc.)?
- Follow this link to get various forms needed throughout graduate school: Forms
- What are some important deadlines/dates?
- Follow this link for the academic calendar for Montclair State University: Academic Calendar
- Where can I find my advisor’s name and contact information?
- Your advisor’s name and hyperlink to his/her email address can be found in your Degree Works-Degree Audit. Your Degree Audit contains critical information for successful program completion. This includes information on: current course registration, courses required to complete your degree/program, overall GPA, registration holds, advisor contact information, and Graduation Application Status. Students can review and access their degree audit through their NEST portal. (Go to: montclair.edu -> Menu -> Toolbar Links -> NEST)
FAQ – Educational Leadership Program (P-12)
- What types of careers can someone obtain with this degree/certification?
- The NJ Principal Endorsement allows individuals to pursue careers as assistant principal, vice principal, principal, or assistant superintendent for curriculum and instruction. The Supervisor Endorsement authorizes the holder to be employed in positions such as supervisor of instruction or athletic director. The School Administrator endorsement authorizes the holder to be employed in roles such as superintendent, assistant superintendent, and director.
- Who actually certifies administrators and supervisors?
- The State of New Jersey, Department of Education is the certifying agent. When you apply for graduation, Montclair State will coordinate the paperwork for certification if you are enrolled in a formal certification program.
- What certificates require a standardized test?
- The Certificate of Eligibility for Principal requires the School Leaders Licensure Assessment (SLLA), and the School Administrator Certificate (superintendent/central office certification) requires the School Superintendent Assessment (SSA). Both assessments are given by the Education Testing Service (ETS.org). See your advisor to identify the appropriate test code for NJ.
- Are there any internship components to the program?
- Students in the Master of Arts or Post-Masters Principal certification track must complete a 300-hour building-based internship which aligns with the professional standards for school leaders and the NJDOE requirements to earn a Certificate of Eligibility as a Principal.
- A 150-hour internship elective in district-level leadership is offered to M.A. candidates which aligns with the NJDOE requirements to earn a Certificate of Eligibility as a School Administrator.
- I am planning on enrolling part-time because I work full-time as a P-12 Educator. Will I be able to complete this degree?
- Absolutely. Our courses are offered in either fully online or hybrid formats. On-campus sessions are held in the evenings and on the weekends. Our evening courses begin at 5:30 pm. We also run courses in the 8:15 pm session.
FAQ – Educational Leadership Higher Education concentration
What types of careers can someone obtain with this degree?
Many of our students pursue careers in Student Affairs, Enrollment Management, and other administrative positions on a college campus.
I am planning on enrolling part-time because I work full time in Higher Education. Will I be able to complete this degree?
Absolutely. Our courses are offered in the evenings and on the weekends. Our evening courses begin at 5:30 pm. We also run courses at 8:15 pm.
Are there any internship components to the program?
In order to successfully complete the program, all students are required to enroll and complete a 3-credit Capstone Experience which requires students to design and implement a project or initiative in a Higher Education setting. This opportunity allows students hands-on experience in the field to not only utilize theory to inform their practice but to take ownership of an initiative.
On average, how long does it take to complete the program?