Procedures for Scheduling
Effective with the preparation of the class schedule fall 2020.
Classes are to be scheduled according to this approved time block grid, effective for the fall 2020 schedule.
- Schedules to be reviewed in the department.
- Schedules must be then sent to your Dean’s office for approval.
- Schedules must be sent to the Registrar’s office at CLASSSCHED@montclair.edu by the posted due date. Schedules sent in late are not guaranteed to be published in time for registration. Names of missing departments will be sent to the Provost’s office one day after the due date if they have not been received.
Previous Like Semester Schedule in Microsoft Excel – This report is a listing of all sections that ran in the last-like term. All days/times and rooms will have been removed so that the new grid times can be inserted. Schedules MUST include the listed CRNS in order for our processing to occur.
The following is an overview of each field of the schedule describing how to complete the section:
All course information must be listed as it appears on the Course catalog. Any courses still pending curricular action will not be posted. All classes will be listed with the cap approved in the university catalog.
Course One Information
The course number consists of the alpha subject code, the course number, and section number. The sequence of sections should begin with 01. Multiple sections of a course are to be numbered in ascending section number order, starting with the earliest meeting time to the latest meeting time.
- Section 01 MR 8:15 a.m. – 9:30 a.m.
- Section 02 TF 9:45 a.m. – 11:00 a.m.
- Section 03 M 8:15 p.m. – 10:45 p.m.
Effective with the fall 2020 schedule, daytime classes meeting two days per week may meet Monday and Thursday, Tuesday and Friday only. Nighttime classes meeting two times per week may meet Monday and Wednesday, Tuesday and Thursday only.
Classes meeting for one 2.5-hour block during the day may meet:
- Wednesday 8:00 a.m. – 10:30 a.m.
- Wednesday 10:45 a.m. – 1:15 p.m.
- Tuesday 2:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
- Friday 2:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Evening classes meeting for one 2.5-hour block may meet:
- Monday 5:30 or 8:15 p.m.
- Tuesday 5:30 or 8:15 p.m.
- Wednesday 5:30 or 8:15 p.m.
- Thursday 5:30 or 8:15 p.m.
- Friday 5:30 or 8:15 p.m.
There are a limited number of rooms available for 7 p.m. courses, which will be prioritized by order received.
Evening Classes meeting for two 1.25 hours per week may meet:
Monday/Wednesday: 5:30pm-6:45pm, 7:00pm-8:15pm
Tuesday/Thursday: 5:30pm-6:45pm, 7:00pm-8:15pm
Hybrid and Online classes:
Courses can be offered fully online. These classes will not have a room assigned.
Hybrid classes are to be offered in one of two patterns:
- Meets one day per week with the alternate day online. Your scheduling of the Face-to-face days for all your hybrid classes should be scheduled with those F2F class meetings divided equally between the four days of the week (25% Monday, 25% Tuesday, 25% Thursday, and 25% Friday.)
- Meets selected dates in the term (Dates of the actual meeting must be provided with an initial schedule for this option to be listed. A classroom will be provided only for the dates listed for the class to meet).
Cross-listed or Co-Sat classes:
Classes, which will share the same room at the same time, are considered “cross-listed” (often called “Co-sat”). Information about cross-listing must be provided to us with your initial grid so we can book the appropriate room for the combined size class. Please make sure to provide the cap for each side of this cross-list.
- Dates of the Term: A separate attachment of approved term dates and parts-of-term dates will be provided.
- Title: The course title must match the Course Catalog Title as it appears in the posted Course catalog. The Subtitle field should be completed for workshops, seminars, and courses with special topics. Please provide that information at the time you provide your schedule.
- Instructor Information (Instructor1, Instructor2): Use this field to change a preprinted name or enter a name. Please provide the instructor College-wide ID (CWID) with the name.
- Credit Hours (MIN/MAX): Use these fields to make changes to variable credit courses only. Variable credit courses can be made fixed credit courses in the following format: MIN=3.0 (for the three-credit courses) MAX=3.0. Fixed credit courses cannot have credit hour changes made.
- Course Capacity (Cap): Each section must run at catalog capacity or higher.
- Schedule Visibility. The course schedule is visible to students two weeks before the first scheduled day of registration: All sections will appear in the online schedule unless you indicate the “hide section” in the comment line. No section will be posted online if it does not have a classroom assignment. Note: Some sections will be hidden if a room cannot be found for them. Permits are not permitted for these sections, nor is registration allowed.
- For assistance with the estimation of seats needed in your major courses, use the Cognos report in the “University reports” folder to run a report. Instructions are listed below: Follow the path to University reports>Registration and Enrollment>Seats needed for schedule planning. Select the current term (use spring 2020) to see how many students still need your class and at each class level. Run this report after the spring 2020 registration for the best results.