Congratulations on your acceptance to the Graduate School at Montclair State University!
Welcome to Montclair State University! We have compiled a checklist of things you will need to do as you enroll as a graduate student. While The Graduate School staff is always available to help you, we encourage you to use this website regularly as a resource.
All new graduate students must set up their NetIDs.
Please note: New Students should set up their University NetID prior to logging in to NEST. If you are having trouble with claiming your NetID, please contact the University Information Technology help desk at firstname.lastname@example.org or 973-655-7971 option 1.
- Give you a unique electronic identity for access to university online services, including email.
- Set up your email account so that you can:
- Receive vital university communications.
- Communicate with faculty and fellow graduate students.
- Gain off-campus access to library databases and other resources.
- Participate in various campus listservs for up-to-date event, deadline, and campus news.
- Forward email from your Montclair account to your personal email account.
Please note that you MUST sign up for a Montclair State University email account as you will be held responsible for the information and campus notifications sent via the Montclair email system. The University and The Graduate School’s main source of communication is the Montclair State University email address. It is extremely imperative you check your Montclair email address. Once you set up your Montclair State email account, you will have the option of forwarding your University email to your personal email account.
For more information, please contact the University Help Desk at 973-655-7971.
Pay Your Enrollment Deposit
By submitting your non-refundable Graduate Student Enrollment Deposit, you secure your seat at Montclair State University. If you intend to pay your deposit online with a credit card, please log into the NEST Portal to pay your deposit. To log into the NEST Portal, use your eight-digit Campus Wide ID (CWID) and your PIN, which is your six-digit date of birth (MMDDYY), that is provided in your acceptance letter.
Once you log into the NEST Portal, click the Deposits tab on the red menu bar. In the Select Deposit Payment drop-down menu, select the “Grad Enrollment Deposit Non Ref” payment option and follow the ensuing screens to pay your enrollment deposit.
If you prefer to pay your deposit by check or money order, please include the applicant’s full name in the notes section of the payment and please mail your check or money order to the following address:
Montclair State University
The Office of Graduate Admissions
1 Normal Ave
Montclair, NJ 07043
Your deposit will be applied to your first semester’s tuition. Please note that your student record will not be activated and you will not be able to register for classes until we receive your deposit.
A critical partner in your graduate school experience, your Graduate Program Coordinator can help you with course selection, overall curriculum planning, research opportunities, and career goals. You can find your Graduate Program Coordinator here.
The Graduate School registration system is entirely online on NEST. You may also view the schedule of courses online through NEST. An up-to-date listing of courses is posted on NEST under course sections or course section search.
On the Red Hawk Central website, you can find more information including the registration time calendar, how to read the class schedule, and how to register for classes.
NEST is the primary web gateway for student and faculty/staff self-service. NEST will give you single-sign-on access for many current and upcoming products including Self-Service Banner (SSB).
Through NEST students are able to:
- Register for classes.
- Pay tuition bills.
- Review academic audit.
- Review financial aid award information.
- Access the University catalog via CourseLeaf.
- Access Quicklinks to Canvas, Email, Library & the University directory.
US citizens and permanent residents are eligible for student loans, which are the primary funding source for graduate students. In order to be eligible for any kind of student loan you must be registered for at least three credits, or half-time, during a semester.
Paying Your Term Bill
We accept payment in the form of cash, checks or money orders, E-check, and credit cards. Payments can be made in person or online and we also have payment plans available. A mandatory New Student Enrollment Fee will be assessed to your account. This fee may be assessed to your account before or after you pay the term bill. Please note that statements will no longer be mailed to students. You must log into NEST for your account summary. For more information on how to pay your term bill, please visit the payment options section of the Student Accounts website.
Welcome! Orientation webinars will be offered for New Students on the following dates. If you have been hired as a Graduate or Doctoral Assistant, please plan to attend both a New Student Orientation session and a Graduate/Doctoral Assistant Orientation session. Email invitations with registration links will be sent out at the beginning of August.
In addition, you will receive an invitation to join the The Graduate School’s Orientation course(s) in Canvas where you will be able to review a series of modules on topics such as financial aid, campus resources, and graduate student policies and procedures at your own pace.
New Student Orientation Webinars
- New Student Orientation dates coming soon!
Online Student Orientation Webinars
- Montclair State Online hosts an orientation for new graduate students in online programs. For dates and event details, please visit Online New Graduate Student Orientation.
Montclair State requires all full-time undergraduate and graduate students to carry health insurance. The University has arranged for a plan to be available for students who have no other coverage, for a small fee. Full-time students are automatically enrolled in this plan and charged the insurance premium. Students have the option to waive the plan if covered by another carrier. Waivers must be submitted by the established deadlines. To waive the plan and for more information on the health coverage plan, please visit the Student Health Insurance page.
All incoming students are subject to health requirements as a prerequisite to attending classes at Montclair State University and entering University housing (if applicable). These requirements are mandated by New Jersey Higher Education Immunization laws and the University. Detailed immunization requirements and deadlines for new students to submit their information are published on the Student Health Center website.
- Student Health Center Phone: 973-655-4361
Registered Montclair State University students will need a Montclair State University ID card to use the library, computer labs and access Red Hawk dollars – the money placed on your ID card to spend on meals, books, etc.
You can buy your textbooks, computers, software, clothing, supplies and more at the University Bookstore.
To purchase textbooks visit the Bookstore, located on the firsts floor of the Student Center, Monday through Saturday, or you may go online. Online ordering is easy and convenient if you know your class schedule and semester. Here’s how to order:
- Once you select the appropriate term, the bookstore website will help you select your department, course and section.
- Once you select the right class, the site will display a list of required and recommended textbooks for that class.
- Put your books in your shopping cart and continue to order your books for each of your classes.
- All graduate students must purchase a parking permit and register any vehicle parked in surface lots. The parking permit must be displayed as outlined in the Parking Rules and Regulations.
- Commuter students may park only in General Parking Lots: 18-28, 30, 32, 40, and 41.
- Hourly paid parking is available in the Red Hawk Parking Deck.
- A limited number of Red Hawk parking passes are available each year.
- Paid parking is also available in metered spaces for a maximum of two hours.
- For more information, please contact Standard Parking, Level 1 of the Red Hawk Deck at 973-655-7580.
- Campus maps are available at The Graduate School Office, Parking Services, and the Student Center Information Desk.