Educational Leadership (MA) – ONLINE
With a strong theoretical foundation and a practical structure, the online Master of Arts in Educational Leadership provides students with the conceptual tools and professional preparation necessary to become accomplished school leaders. Coursework covers a variety of areas including supervision, leadership, assessment, decision making, student achievement, and school and community relations. Our program has been ranked among the top 19 in the nation by U.S News & World Report in its 2019 Best Online Graduate Education Programs survey.
In the fully online program, students follow a cohort-based structured schedule in which they focus on one course per session (two courses per semester), allowing for rigorous course immersion. Each course lasts for eight weeks, during which students build a strong academic background and set of practice-based experiences in the field of educational leadership. Students can earn their degree in two years without the stress of taking multiple courses simultaneously. Since the program is fully online, students never have to set foot on campus and can complete coursework from anywhere at any time of the day.
Along with the Educational Leadership (MA – Online), the department also offers the following options for graduate study: Educational Leadership (MA), Educational Leadership with a concentration in Higher Education and an Educational Assessment certificate.
Hear from current students and alumni on their experiences in the Educational Leadership (MA) program at Montclair State:
“Montclair’s Educational Leadership MA has inspired me, provided perspective, and given me the tools necessary to bring positive systemic change to our schools.”
Ian Collis – Educational Leadership, recent Online Program graduate
Please refer to our programs of study page for a comprehensive list of all of the graduate programs offered within the university.
The Graduate School requires the equivalent of a U.S. bachelor’s degree in order to be eligible to apply for a graduate program. Applicants with non-U.S. degrees, please visit the International Applicants page to review the U.S. degree equivalency information.
In order to make applying for graduate school as seamless as possible for you, we have
created an application checklist. This checklist can be a reference point for you during the
application process to ensure that you have a comprehensive understanding of the steps
needed to apply, as well as all of the corresponding supplemental materials for your specific
program of interest.
- Application Deadline: Rolling Admission
- Submit Online Application: Please create your online account and submit your application by following the general application instructions. Once this step has been completed, the online portal will allow you to upload your supplemental materials.
The following is a list of the supplemental materials that will accompany your application for the Educational Leadership (MA) online program:
- Transcript: One from each college attended.
- Essays/Personal Statement: In one integrated essay, thoughtfully discuss each of the areas identified below:
- Why you are interested in the profession/specialization in which you want to pursue graduate work and, if applicable, the particular concentration within that profession;
- Your knowledge of issues and trends in this profession or field of specialization;
- What areas and topics you hope to study in depth and why;
- Any related professional or personal experiences you have had, including opportunities to collaborate with other professionals, and how these experiences make you particularly well-suited for the profession or for your intended specialization;
- Potential challenges and opportunities associated with diversity you think are relevant to the profession or specialization you are pursuing. Be sure to explain what you mean by “diversity” (related, for example, to race, gender, age, sexual orientation, language, dis/ability) and how it may pose challenges or present opportunities.
- Resume: Required.
- Teacher Certification: One.
- Letters of Recommendation: Two.
- Standardized Test Scores: GRE or Miller Analogies Test (MAT) (see test waiver policies)
- Students holding degrees from non-US institutions must request a course-by-course transcript evaluation from a member of the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services or by Educated Choices. TOEFL or IELTS is required for applicants to any program who earned their degree in a country where English is not the official language. Please check our International Applicants page for more information and for our current TOEFL/IELTS Waiver Policy.
Classes are delivered purely online. This program consists of three terms per year (fall, spring, and summer), two sessions per term, one course per session. The courses are eight weeks and they blend theory and practice. For more information, please visit the Educational Leadership (MA) online program listing in the University Catalog.
If you have any general questions regarding the application process and requirements, please email or call us:
The Graduate School
If you have specific inquiries regarding your program of interest, please contact the Educational Leadership (MA) – ONLINE Program Coordinator:
*During the summer months, there will be a rotating department chair available to answer your inquiry. Find the updated summer chair for this program.*