Special Education (MEd)
This is an advanced teacher certification program for those who already have general education teacher certification (CEAS or Standard Certification) in a Content Area who wish to obtain special education certification (Teacher of Students with Disabilities) and a master’s degree. The program emphasis is on inclusive education.
Please note that all special education teachers in NJ must have a dual certification in general education (P-3, K-6, or Content Area) and special education (Teacher of Students with Disabilities).
Applicants who do not hold general education certification or who have a P-3 or K-6 certification can obtain special education certification through our other programs. Please refer to our teacher education and certification page for information on other options in teacher education as well as our programs of study page for a comprehensive list of all of the graduate programs offered within the university.
This program is for prospective students who already have general education teacher certification (CEAS or Standard) in a Content Area. The Office of Graduate Admissions requires the equivalent of a U.S. bachelor’s degree in order to be eligible to apply for a graduate program. Applicants with non-U.S. degrees, please visit the international applicants page to review the U.S. degree equivalency information.
In order to make applying for graduate school as seamless as possible for you, we have
created an application checklist. This checklist can be a reference point for you during the
application process to ensure that you have a comprehensive understanding of the steps
needed to apply, as well as all of corresponding supplemental materials for your specific
program of interest.
- Application Deadline: Rolling Admission.
- Submit Online Application: Please create your online account and submit your application by following the general application instructions and pay (or waive) the non-refundable $60 application fee. Once this step has been completed, the online portal will allow you to upload your supplemental materials.
The following is a list of the supplemental materials that will accompany your application for the Special Education (MEd) program:
- Transcript: One from each college attended.
- CEAS or Standard Certification in a Content Area.
- Essay: In one integrated essay, of three to four pages (double-spaced), thoughtfully address each of the questions identified below:
- Why do you want to seek special education certification?
- What qualities do you possess that will make you an excellent special education teacher?
- What experience do you have working collaboratively with teachers and administrators in your school/district?
- What is your philosophy of inclusion?
- Letters of Recommendation: Two.
- Applicants with non-U.S. degrees, please visit the International Applicants page to review the US degree equivalency information.
For curriculum information, please visit the program listing in the course catalog.
If you have any general questions regarding the application process and requirements, please email or call us:
Office of Graduate Admissions
If you have specific inquiries regarding your program of interest, please contact the Special Education (MEd) Program Coordinator:
Program Coordinator: Dr. Talida State
Office: University Hall 3190