To combat the reality and struggle of food insecurity for our community, Student Development and Campus Life has established the Red Hawk Pantry. On April 18, 2016, the on-campus food pantry opened for the first time and continues to serve the needs of our campus community. To assess these needs, a survey out prior to the opening of the pantry. Of the nearly 200 replies, 10% expressed food insecurity on a daily basis, while 15% expressed a need on weekly basis and 12% on a monthly basis.
In July of 2016, the University launched a fundraising campaign to help sustain the pantry and allow it to become self-sustaining and continue to serve the needs of our campus community. Gifts to the campaign help the Red Hawk Pantry to offer more hours, stock more supplies and expand its services to our campus community.
The Red Hawk Pantry is open to all Montclair State University community members: students, faculty and staff.
Available at the Red Hawk Pantry
The following items are available:
- Food items
- Health/personal care products
(Items are subject to change and availability)
Blanton Hall, Room 1200
Dates/Time of Operation
Fall 2022 (through December 8, 2022)
- Mondays: 11:30 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.
- Wednesdays: 1:30 – 4:30 p.m.
- Thursdays: 6:00 – 8:00 p.m. (Closed Thanksgiving, 11/24)
- Members of the campus community will now be allowed to “shop” in the Pantry with the following conditions
- A mask must be worn at all times while in the Pantry
- Only two people will be allowed in at a time
- If you do not have a mask you will be given a grab & go bag
- Shopping is limited to 10 minutes or less
- Don’t forget to bring your University ID card.
- First-year residential students with the ‘unlimited’ meal plan are ineligible to receive food items, but are eligible to receive toiletries.
How Do I Donate To the Pantry?
If you’d like to support the on-campus food pantry, you can make your gift online. Please select “Red Hawk Pantry” on the donation form.
To donate goods, you can bring your donation to the Pantry during the day/time we are open.
Please Note: When donating remember to check the expiration dates on the items you are bringing. We want to be sure that our students are receiving the best and freshest foods possible.
There is also a t-shirt available for purchase at the University Bookstore! For every shirt sold, the pantry receives $5.00.
Amazon Wish List
You also can choose from our Amazon Wish List. Once you have chosen items be sure to request they be delivered to the following address:
The Red Hawk Pantry C/O Adela Caceres
Montclair State University
1 Normal Ave
Blanton Hall, Room 1200
Montclair NJ 07043
Common Items Needed
- Canned fruit
- Canned proteins
- Cereal hot/cold
- Fruit cups
- Peanut butter
- Shelf-stable milk
- Shelf-stable side dishes
- Laundry detergent
- Shampoo /conditioner
For more information on the on-campus food pantry, contact Adela Caceres, Student Center, Room 113, email: email@example.com, phone: 973-655-7130; the Dean of Students Office at 973-655-4118/7548; the Center for Student Involvement at 973-655-7818.