I am concerned about my application and IACUC review. Who can I contact for assistance?
The IACUC office and staff are available to assist you in completing your IACUC protocol. To contact us please call 973-655-3021 or email iacuc@montclair.edu.
How long is my animal protocol valid?

Your animal protocol is valid for three years. At the end of Year One and Year Two you are required to submit for continuing review approval from the IACUC. Please note that some protocols may be approved as pilot studies with shorter approval periods and/or limited to a specific number of animals.

I am conducting a study in the wild and I have gotten all the appropriate state and local permits, do I need IACUC approval?

Yes. All vertebrate animal research, whether conducted in the wild or in a laboratory setting, is subject to federal regulations as set forth by the PHS and USDA.

I am going to be training students in the classroom with live vertebrate animals, do I need IACUC approval?

Yes. Please contact the IACUC office to discuss classroom protocols.

Where can I find more information about the USDA pain classification levels?
More information on the USDA pain classification levels.
What if I believe my activity does not require IACUC approval, how can I confirm?
The IACUC has created the IACUC Project Determination Form for Faculty, staff or students who plan to work with animals on campus, but under circumstances where such work may not be subject to the traditional IACUC review process. (See IACUC Flow Chart for further information on what requires IACUC approval). When this form is submitted, it will be determined if the proposed animal activities in fact do not require IACUC approval, and the IACUC will respond to these requests with a determination letter acknowledging the proposed activities, and will provide additional instructions, if applicable. *It is also crucial to note that, in every instance, students should be notified in advance of the activities involving animals, to consider allergies, fear, etc. All animals must also be restrained and under supervision of the MSU person at all times.
How do I report suspected animal care problems?
Reports of any animal care and use concerns can be submitted to the IACUC Office via the campus mail, electronic mail, online, fax, in person, or by telephone to the IACUC Office. Alternatively, you may submit a concern to the Veterinarian or IACUC Chair, Dr. Lisa Hazard.

You may choose to use a reporting form or submit online to report your concern. If you, as the person filing the form, wish to be informed of the actions taken in response to the report, please include your contact information on the form. Otherwise, you may remain anonymous. In all cases, your concern will be handled confidentially to the extent reasonably possible. The Animal Welfare Act provides that, “No facility employee, committee member, or laboratory personnel shall be discriminated against or be subject to any reprisal for reporting violations of any regulations or standards under the Act.” (9 CFR § 2.32(c)(4)).


More Information

Animal Guides, Policies, and Regulations

Alternatives to Animal Testing

Other Animal Research Links

By selecting these links you are leaving the Montclair State University website. Montclair State University does not endorse the views or opinions expressed therein. The content provided is that of the author and does not express the view of Montclair State University.