Fully online gifted and talented education graduate certificate.
Application Term: Spring 2023 | Start class: 2/27/23
Program Coordinator: Pablo Tinio, Department of Educational Foundations
Credit Hours: 9
The Gifted and Talented Education graduate certificate is designed for aspiring and practicing classroom teachers, resource specialists, educational consultants, administrators and parents. The program provides students with the knowledge and skills necessary to successfully teach students who demonstrate exceptional performance in intellectual, creative or artistic areas as well as students who may benefit from specialized instruction and activities within specific content areas. The certificate program will also help students develop expertise in planning, developing, administering and evaluating the efficacy and impact of gifted and talented programs in schools, cultural institutions and community settings.
The certificate will teach you to:
- Employ rigorous techniques for identifying gifted and talented learners.
- Differentiate instruction to meet the specific needs of gifted and talented learners.
- Create instructional contexts and activities that promote creative problem solving and critical thinking skills.
- Plan, develop, implement and maintain a gifted and talented program in schools or community settings.
- Assess gifted and talented students’ learning and evaluate the efficacy and impact of gifted and talented programs.
- Conceptualize gifted and talented education in intellectual and academic areas, as well as creative, artistic and other endeavors.
- Work in partnership with the parents and family of gifted and talented learners.
Benefits for parents:
The Graduate Certificate in Gifted and Talented Education provides families of gifted and talented learners with a more profound and research-based understanding of their children’s cognitive, emotional and social development. The program also equips parents with the knowledge to advocate in communities and schools in terms of meeting their children’s needs.
The State of New Jersey Department of Education requires all schools, kindergarten to grade 12, to have a board-approved gifted and talented program and for gifted and talented learners to be identified and provided with “appropriate adaptations and services.” With this provision and the continuing growth of gifted and talented education across the country, there are many career opportunities for aspiring and practicing classroom teachers, resource specialists, educational consultants and administrators. Career opportunities include:
- Teacher or instructor of gifted and talented children in a variety of content areas, including science, math, humanities, language arts, technology and engineering and visual, musical, and performing arts.
- Director of a gifted and talented program.
- Program administrator-coordinator.
- Educational support personnel.
- Program assessment and evaluation specialist.
- Tutor of gifted and talented students.
- Curriculum specialist.
- Intervention specialist for gifted and talented students.
- Gifted and talented enrichment consultant.
In addition to positions that are active during the regular school year, many gifted and talented programs are administered during the summer and winter months as well as during weekends.
Flexible, Online Course Format
The courses are structured to give our students a lot of flexibility. Weekly modules are typically made available on Mondays and students work on readings and assignments throughout the week and submit any requirements by the end of the week. Then the following Monday, the next module begins. Courses are 8-weeks in duration. There are no set meeting days and times and students work at their own pace. Instructors are always available for help and each course has a very active online community with online discussions amongst the students and the instructor.
The program of study for the certificate program in Gifted and Talented Education consists of three courses, all of which will be delivered using online technologies and will take advantage of the many available technological and instructional resources available at Montclair State University. Courses are offered during the spring and summer terms and may be taken in any order giving you flexibility in scheduling your coursework.
The certificate program provides you with diverse, research-based knowledge and skills as you develop a deeper understanding of gifted and talented education. The following themes will be integrating topics within each of the three courses listed below.
|Integrating Theme||EDFD 510||EDFD 515||EDFD 575|
|Cognitive & socio-emotional development||x||x||x|
|Differentiating Gifted – Underrepresented Populations||x||x|
|Diversity, equity, social justice||x||x||x|
Complete three courses for nine semester hours:
- EDFD 510 Creativity, Imagination, and Critical Thinking
- EDFD 515 Foundations of Gifted and Talented Education
- EDFD 575 Curriculum and Methods of Gifted and Talented Education