David Benfield Philosophy Essay Prize
Spring 2020 Awards
- First place:
- Second place:
- Submission Deadline:
- March, TBA
Essays will be judged by a panel of faculty members in the Department of Philosophy at MSU. Winning essays will be selected on the basis of philosophical content, rigor of argumentation, style and composition.
- Essays on any topic in philosophy may be submitted.
- The author of the essay must be enrolled as a Philosophy major or minor at Montclair State University.
- The essay may be a revised course essay or a newly composed essay.
- A student may submit only one essay for consideration per year.
- Essays submitted previously may not be submitted a second time.
- Essays should be formatted properly: standard font, standard margins, double-spaced, etc.
- The length of your submission should be between 2,000 and 3,500 words (approximately 6 – 12 pages).
- Essays must include a proper bibliography.
- Email your essay as an attachment to Tiger Roholt at email@example.com (submit only one of the following file types: “pdf” “doc” “docx” “pages”)
- Essays should be prepared for blind review (The author’s name should not appear anywhere in the essay). The author’s name should appear in the body of the email.
* Funds will be credited to the winner’s account at Montclair State University.